• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Car fax...where do they get info from?

015point9

I'm waiting at a red light and guy cut corner short and runs into front of me in wives 06 CRV.  Bumper needs replaced.  Online bumpers cost  $80-$130.00.  Honda dealer wants $345.00.  Doesn't need painted, just bolt on.  Looking at YouTube vid, looks to me about maybe 2 hours remove and 2 hours replace.   About 8 bolts and some plastic holders. 

My insurance company says get two estimates and they will fix.  Estimates are $680.00 and $745.00.  We were planning on trading her car in late this summer.  But now wondering ....

Will "car fax" show car has been in a wreck if insurance company does not pay to fix.  My thinking is I might have better trade in value spending $130.00 of my own money versus having a car fax showing car has been in wreck. 

1. Where does car fax get their info? (accident reports or insurance company's, etc)

2. Would you fix yourself or get insurance to fix?

• Staff
1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

1. Where does car fax get their info? (accident reports or insurance company's, etc)

Check out these sites for that info.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/10/carfax_facts.html

https://brokensecrets.com/2010/08/23/how-does-information-get-on-a-carfax-report/ 

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

2. Would you fix yourself or get insurance to fix?

If I could get the insurance company to pay me the $745 I'd fix the car for $130 and put the balance of $615 in my pocket.  My work van has been hit three different times.  Every time I was either stopped in traffic or it was parked.  All the damages have been minor (small dents and dings) but the other guys' insurance companies have paid me over $2,250 for damages.  That's more than what the van is worth.  Some of the things I fixed myself and somethings didn't get fixed but the money went into my pocket.