• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT's after the turbo

EGT gauge is back up and running, however, the probe is after the turbo.  In my previous trucks I have been in the exhaust manifold, and 1200* was the peak I ever wanted to see..  My question is, because I can't move the probe before towing this week/weekend.  What temp would you guys say is a conservative number to stay at or below?

Thank you

If I'm not mistaken, when cummins gave the 1200°F limit, it was for post turbo like all the big rigs are setup.  

Edited by Cowboy

I have not found ANY offical documents related to that 1250*f number  there was one guy on a forum that had a qouted email from a cummins engineer stating something like " well I dunno I guess I wouldn't push much past 1250*f"  

assuming you are not towing to low int he rpms etc I wouldn't worry.  This also assumes you are not overfueled for your air. 

• Like 1

I have stock injectors and an Edge Comp that is not tapped, I can't imagine I am over fueled unless I am lugging the crap out of it.  I will keep the RPMs up and keep an eye on it.  

Do you guys like the greased bit? magnet on the tap? engine running, vacuum, all of the above for drilling and tapping the manifold? :-)

I personally would take the turbo off. Its not hard to do. 4 bolts on the manifold, oil drain, and seperating the downpipe.  No worries no issues, plus you get the piece of mind that nothing went into turbo. 

However, if that is not an option for you, then a greased bit while motor is running would be my suggestion. 

Motor off with a pencil magnet was my preferred method, although all will get the job done .

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Drill slowly with the motor running, most of the shavings will blow out without any issues, 

just make sure you have a new or well trusted drill bit. 

• Like 1

• Owner

All valid methods of drilling the manifold. I've tried them all and they all work just fine.

24 minutes ago, 01cummins4ever said:

just make sure you have a new or well trusted drill bit. 

Very good point. I've got a drill bit zipped tied to the tap and it stays as a set. Good sharp drill bit will cut much better giving a good clean hole for the tap to work in.