• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

EGT's after the turbo

27 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Guessing firewood is for extra back pressure or did I miss something 

That's the idea yes, works like a charm.

• Like 1

• Staff

The hole calls for a tap size of 1/8-27 NPT but what size drill bit are you using.

I am seeing drill bit sizes of 21/64 (.328") with reamer,  Q (.332") without a reamer,  R (.339") straight pipe thread, or 11/32 (.3438).

What say you?

Edited by IBMobile

I did a little data collection as far as pre vs post turbine temps.  This is on my 12V'er so your mileage may very.

Not as scientific as it could be as the hills were short, and post turbine temps are heavily influenced by heat soak.

1680 RPM @ 860 Pre-EGT = 700 Post-EGT.

1875 RPM @ 1000 Pre-EGT = 740 Post-EGT

2060 RPM @ 960 Pre-EGT = 720 Post-EGT.

2120 RPM @ 910 Pre-EGT = 710 Post-EGT.

2190 RPM @ 1050 Pre-EGT = 760 Post-EGT.

2240 RPM @ 1250 Pre-EGT = 840 Post-EGT.

2640 RPM @ 1040 Pre-EGT = 735 Post-EGT.

On a single-scroll turbine, I can see the 10° per psi rule of thumb being fairly accurate.  But the efficiency curve of a twin-scroll housings are far more dynamic than a single scroll.  And in the end, that is what determines pre vs post temps.  When the pressure drops over the turbine housing, that causes a temperature drop.  But just like the inefficiency of the compressor adds heat to the intake, the same goes for the turbine heating up the post turbine exhaust temps.

As an example, I was pulling a grade yesterday, 850°F pre-temps & 650°F post-temps with 5 psi of boost.

Another example, pulling a grade at 1900 RPM, 1140ºF Pre-temps & 780°F post temps with 20 psi of boost.

• Like 2

• Staff

I have a twin scroll and it follows the 10° per psi fairly close at nearly all rpms. Pressure drop is pressure drop so I really don't see the single vs twin scroll having a measurable difference. The temperature drop is occurring after the inlet. The HE351 is a single scroll and from what I gather it's fairly close to the 10° per psi rule as well. 

How long were you at those numbers? I find that it takes a good 15-20 seconds for post numbers to stabilize. 

It's a rule of thumb and certainly not an absolute. 

• Owner

Just lot easier to look at how hot the fire is leaving the head than attempting to do math and figuring out from post temps. I really don't care what the temps are after the turbo. I do care above the fire leaving the head that it not hot enough to damage pistons or the turbo. Back to using pre-turbo temperatures. 

Why make it complicated with math and figures when you just drill a pre turbo port and be done.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Just lot easier to look at how hot the fire is leaving the head than attempting to do math and figuring out from post temps. I really don't care what the temps are after the turbo. I do care above the fire leaving the head that it not hot enough to damage pistons or the turbo. Back to using pre-turbo temperatures. 

Why make it complicated with math and figures when you just drill a pre turbo port and be done.

But it's still all just a number. The pre-temps can vary a ton as well. 1250° on your stock tune was quite a bit less piston heat than you get now at 1250°, and even more so on my truck. I ran 1450° stock and it would do that all day, but 1450° now and I could damage a piston. The valve seats and turbo inlet don't care about cylinder temps and the temp of combustion is a lot higher than the temp in the manifold. RPMs, boost, and timing are the biggest influences of heat soak in the piston for a given manifold temp... and those 3 variables are constantly changing. 

Pre responds much faster which is rather handing, but post is a much better indicator of heat soak. 1200° pre may not look hot but when lugged that number can be 1050° post and that is too hot. So post can quite often be a safer indication of cylinder heat soak. Pre temps take just as much figuring as post temps, at least they do if you really want to understand them. Since running both I have seen too high of post EGT's a couple of time but the pre-EGT's were "normal". It takes a descent lug to do that but according to my pre I was just fine. I don't recall ever seeing too high of pre with acceptable post. 

I still say that if you're going to only have 1 to run a pre-turbo but it's not always better and only having a post is very acceptable too. 

So at the end of the day they are just a reference for running normal. Pre or post and that number is still just a reference. 

• Like 1