• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wheels and Tire Setup

What do you guys run for wheels and tires? I'm finally ready to get some real tires so I can drive more confidently in the winter. I really like this setup, but I want to know what you guys think. I'd prefer narrower tires, wheels no bigger than 18 inches and I would like to keep the tires under the body as much as possible but also not rub. The 4th gen 18 inch takeoffs I currently have rub on the control arms so I think I'd need a little more offset/less backspacing.

Aside from rubbing were there any other issues with bolting up the 18's?  I vaguely remember seeing a thread about someone having issues with fourth gen 18's on a second gen.  Anyways my wheel/tire setup is in my sig and I'm very pleased with how everything came together.  I have a second set of center caps so I can switch them out for a little different look. (Chrome or Black Caps)

IMG_3741.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sooxies said:

Aside from rubbing were there any other issues with bolting up the 18's?  I vaguely remember seeing a thread about someone having issues with fourth gen 18's on a second gen.

I've heard that too, but for some reason I had no issues, I'm guessing it's because I have the dana 80 in the back instead of a dana 70 like most.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sooxies said:

Aside from rubbing were there any other issues with bolting up the 18's?  I vaguely remember seeing a thread about someone having issues with fourth gen 18's on a second gen.  Anyways my wheel/tire setup is in my sig and I'm very pleased with how everything came together.  I have a second set of center caps so I can switch them out for a little different look. (Chrome or Black Caps)

IMG_3741.jpg

Do you have a pic of the whole truck? I'm sorta in between 265s & 285s

3 hours ago, notlimah said:

Do you have a pic of the whole truck? I'm sorta in between 265s & 285s

I hated my 285/75R16 BFG All Terrains.  Truck felt a lot better once I downsized.  I ran that same size on my old 98 3500 Chevy diesel and they drove me insane too.  Second photo is pre-powdercoat....just did a mock-up.  I really didn't want to powdercoat but they had a lot of wear on them (got em' for next to nothing).  Turned out really nice.  Happy as a clam with the 265's.    

:burnout:

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3601.jpg

3 hours ago, Royal Squire said:

Can you explain that wheel  spacer lying on the floor. Had one on my 98, but only on the right side 

It's supposed to fix a brake pulling issue.  Dodge allegedly did it.  Not sure if it's a TSB issue or if it came like that from factory.  Obviously was added on at one point.  I did not reinstall it with my new wheel/tire setup and do not notice any pulling when the brakes are applied.   

9 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

anyone know this truck?  I love this wheel tire combo.  I am guessing/hoping they are 265/75/16 but I am not 100% sure. maybe 255/85/16 or 285/75/16??

Thoughts?

black_dually.jpg

Looks like 285's to me.  Those have some meat on them.  Can't say with certainty though.  

Edited by sooxies

These are the 17's off a 2011 I think.

What's everyone using for tires these days? Looking for some suggestions. 

Was sorta leaning towards the Hankooo Dynapro ATm based on Mikes word but haven't heard about them since he's started putting serious miles on them. A friend of mine swears by the new Toyo Open Country R/T but they're spendy.

Edited by notlimah

I am on my 3rd set of Cooper ATP's. I only off road on the job but they have done well in the snow and wet pavement. I got 65k out of the first set and 60k+ out of the second. That is as good as the Michelin's I have run.

• Like 2

I'm leaning that way Mike, especially since they're the cheapest. I wouldn't mind trying those Coopers especially since it's the last American tire company (right?) but they're a bit more then I'd like to spend but no where near the Toyos!

No one else has tires they like and would recommend?

• Owner

I'm not a fan of Toyo or Cooper tires. I've ran Coopers for about 1/2 a year and ended up giving them away because they are just too heavy of tire. Toyo has this problem too the carcass is very heavy and eats away at the MPG numbers. They might be a strong carcass for offroad but terrible for on highway MPG's. Both Toyo and Cooper in 265's had poor winter performance very slick tire.

235/85 R16 on stock 2nd gen steel 16x7 wheels.

DSCF4217.JPG

This is what I got left...

DSCF4218.JPG

Just rolled in the yard...

DSCF4219.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man