• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Just got back from towing for the first time with Mike ccv installed.  I was hoping no catch can on the ccv was my oil issue on the front of the engine.  Just pulled in the driveway and front pumpkin and steering is wet with oil again.  Truck hasn't say long enough to see how much I lost in 250 miles but now I am ready to attack this oil leak which I am  assuming its the front main.  Any advice on confirming that or thoughts on anything else it could potentiality be?

Brian

Check your tappet cover. If that thing is leaking it can go every where. Vacuum pump is another that comes to mind. That is my next oil leak to tackle. 

I did just replace my front seal. Had all the wet spots you speak of plus the gear cover was leaking also. It is nice to have the front of the motor dry again.

• Like 1

• Staff

just bought my 2001 with an oil leaks. Turned out the oil pan bolts weren't torqued.( Make sure not to overtighten) Then the puke bottle was in there for 190,000 miles never been cleaned/ emptied was overflowing like niagra I cleaned up the engine w/ degreaser and plumbed the puke bottle straight down below, let it breath down there.. Power steering fluid was also leaking. It stopped leaking when I flushed it out a few times and put new fluid.

• Like 1

• Staff

We changed the crank seal on a 12 valve first gen... left the front but pulled the fan and pully comes off easy with right tools (just one big nut), pulled fan shroud too along with water pump and engine oil fill neck. We also tabbed the KDP killer dowel pin.

Edited by JAG1

I might not have pulled my bumper off and done it but it did make everything very accessible and easy to clean with the pressure washer. This is why I took mine apart so far.before.jpg.c44052de27d15574df5214cac490ba48.jpg

22 minutes ago, portlandareae28 said:

Ugly job doing the front main?  What else can I replace and clean up on my way to the main?  Radiator have to come out?

The worst problem I had was getting the seal to start. I tried using the dampener to get it started but the gear cover kept flexing and it would not start straight. The thing that saved me was on of the receiver cups in my ball joint press set fit the install tool perfectly. That allowed me to put a block of wood on it and hit it squarely. I was also able to support the cover directly under the opening so there was no flexing. Other than that is was a lot of bolt off bolt on.

• Like 2

So I just got back under it.  Is leaking off of the steering box, onto the sway bar and mount and to the ground from there. Its everywhere down there though so assuming its the main getting it onto the pulleys and launching it everywhere.  I like the idea of pulling the whole front end off though to fix it.  Awesome access and I am sure the radiator is filthy

17 minutes ago, portlandareae28 said:

So I just got back under it.  Is leaking off of the steering box, onto the sway bar and mount and to the ground from there. Its everywhere down there though so assuming its the main getting it onto the pulleys and launching it everywhere.  I like the idea of pulling the whole front end off though to fix it.  Awesome access and I am sure the radiator is filthy

I sill have a leak doing that and pretty sure it is the vacuum pump. the opposite side of mine including the front of the oil pan is dry for a change. I remember when my tappet cover gasket failed I had oil every where. The air just blew it all over. Looked like I was driving the Exxon Valdez. Fixed that and was dry for quite a while. A lot of things down there that can leak.

When you take the front covers off the bumper they have releases you can reach in behind and pinch to release them. The first time I did mine several years back I pried them loose. I heard the pop and release. Thought I was pretty smart till I realized the popping I heard was the tabs breaking off.:doh: 

It is on the driver side of the engine and is behind the VP and the ECM. It is rectangular and runs most of the length of the block. Sometimes call the push rod galley cover I think. The gasket dry out with time and can leak a lot of oil. Here is good look.

Edited by dripley

• Staff

Thank you for the box on the 53 block. I've been looking in the wrong places, looking harder and harder because I can't believe I bought such a perfect truck...:think: knock on wood... With 190,000 miles it's almost perfect.