• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

I have ran many different shocks over the years and what I have learned is that I'll never again touch a Rancho shock but I will continue to buy Bilstiens. 

I have the 5100's on my truck right now and they are by far the best shock I have ever ran. 

• Like 2

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Personally, I think there is way too much hype for Bilstein shocks.

I have to agree.  Any vehicle I've driven/rode in that has Bilstein shocks had a very firm/hard ride.  Bilstein shock may be good for the track but not the road.

After 93k miles and only paved roads I still have the original shocks on the my truck but the shocks or struts I put on customers' cars are the Monroe Sensa-Trac.  They are a gas filled shock that gives a nice ride, are reasonably priced and never had one fail.  They are available for the Ram 2500.  

• Like 1

I don't know how you guys tell the difference in how ruff the truck rides, mine rides like a brick unless it's loaded. Original shocks were still good but rusty with 150k, but when changing front Springs I stripped both top front threads, so I cut them off and got bilstin 5100 and they were on sale for 35 a piece  I think or even cheaper. They are a single wall thats thicker and have larger piston, so that's my story.

• Owner
14 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I don't know how you guys tell the difference in how ruff the truck rides, mine rides like a brick unless it's loaded.

Most likely the tire pressures are too high. This one reason I run two different tire pressures because if I left the tires inflated for towing then the ride is really harsh when I'm not towing. 

I have a set of Monro-matics on mine from rock auto. $20 apiece. They keep the wheels planted as they should but the ride is firm. Pretty much like mine was stock. I had been running my tires around 55 in the front and 50 in the rear. Just got the tires rotated and balance and I am sitting a 65 all around at the moment. I did not notice much difference in the ride coming back to Maryland. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Empty tire pressures for my truck are...

• 60 PSI Front 
  • 40 PSI Rear

Now what will it carry???

• 60 / 80 = 0.75 x 3042 = 2281 x 2 = 4563 pounds on the front axle
  • 40 / 80 = 0.5 x 3042 =1521 x 2 = 3042 pounds on the rear axle
  • 7605 pounds carry weight

My truck actually scales at about 7,400 pounds with Mom, Diesel and myself in the truck. 

Trailer towing

• 60 PSI Front
  • 60 PSI Rear

Now what will it carry???

• 60 / 80 = 0.75 x 3042 = 2281 x 2 = 4563 pounds on the front and rear axle
  • 9126 pounds carry weight (Remember the truck is rated for 8,800 GVWR)

2cqfx9w.jpg

On 6/20/2017 at 7:24 AM, dripley said:

The tire shop put my rears at 80 during the rotation, fronts at 65. Decided just to try 65 all around. 80 in the rear with no load equals no fun. Probably going to air them down some anyway.

5200 + 6084 = 11,284 pounds carry capacity. I hardly doubt your anywhere near that empty. Even doubtful with your RV. I know it big and heavy but 2,484 over GVWR... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

5200 + 6084 = 11,284 pounds carry capacity. I hardly doubt your anywhere near that empty. Even doubtful with your RV. I know it big and heavy but 2,484 over GVWR... 

I am running around 7800 right now. Got to empty the back seat for the current job. The rear is a little stiff with 65 but the front likes the 65. I do pump them up for towing though.