• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

G56 Trans

jlwelding

• Staff
16 hours ago, jlwelding said:

A friend wants me to order Amsoil 50-w trans fluid for his 2015 G56 trans. all I see is ATF being ran. Should he do 5o-w fluid?

The proper Amsoil GL-4 fluid for the G56 is the MTG 75w-90 manual transmission fluid. 

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

From the research I have done it's the closest to the Mercedes OEM fluid as we can find right now. I have sold it to several G56 owners with excellent results. 

Don't have him run the syncromesh MTF. Syncromesh is not a GL-4 fluid. 

13 hours ago, AH64ID said:

The proper Amsoil GL-4 fluid for the G56 is the MTG 75w-90 manual transmission fluid. 

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/manual/manual-transmission-and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

From the research I have done it's the closest to the Mercedes OEM fluid as we can find right now. I have sold it to several G56 owners with excellent results. 

Don't have him run the syncromesh MTF. Syncromesh is not a GL-4 fluid. 

^^^^ This 100%!! I love the way mine shift when it's cold and when it's hot. I just need to get around to buying a temp gauge so I know summer hauling temperatures. 

Forgive me if I'm wrong.  But Mercedes recommends a 50W fluid.  The closest obtainable fluid to their spec is a Mobile Delvac 50 (SAE 50).  However It's fairly thick and doesn't shift very well, especially cold.

I'm personally thinking on trying a redline product.

screenshot_40.png

I'm currently running the CD-50.  I've hauled 14k trailer weight running 65 mph and all sorts of other bullshitery and the highest I've seen was 160°F oil temp.  At some point I'll be hauling a lot of weight at low speeds, I'm curious to see how it does then.  

Edited by Cowboy

• Staff

MB calls for spec 4 different specs. 235.1 for temperate zones, 235.12 for all zones but temperate, or 235.13 and/or 235.41 for all zones. 

235.1 is a GL-4 80wt oil

235.12 is a GL-4 140wt oil

235.13 is a GL-4 SAE 50wt oil. 

235.41 is a GL-4 75w-90 oil

So it looks like GL-4 is what it calls for. The Mobiltrans SHC DC is the only fluid that met 235.13. It's been discontinued and very little is known about it. I am not sure if it was a straight SAE 50wt or not. 

Mobil Delvac 50 is a MT-1 rated oil that claims it can be used on GL1-4 but it doesn't carry the GL-4 rating. MT-1 is a non-syncromesh manual trans rating. 

Personally I'd run a GL-4 and not a MT-1 if I owned a G56. 

I have read several reports of Delvac 50 being difficult in the winter. This isn't surprising given it's MT-1 and straight SAE50 ratings. I have no clue how it became so popular.. must be the herd mentality. It's not difficult to find the specs from MB and that points to GL-4 across the board. 

People are also using Delvac 50 in the NV4500 which also clearly calls for a GL-4 :doh:

• Like 1