• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Emissions time is here

My yearly test is coming up on Friday.  I have been working hard to figure out how much fuel I can throw at the truck without causing visible smoke.  

I am allowed %20 opacity on lug down tests at 40, 50, 60 mph.   

This will be the first year I have run the Quadzilla during the test.  I have my tune nailed down pretty well.  starting % of 76 seems to be where there is next to 0 visible smoke in any situtation.  Last year with the smarty on %50 power mode I ended up at %7 opacity, so I am guessing I am going to at in the 10%-15% range in the test.  I can turn down the fuel more, but I want to try and pass with as much fuel as possible.  It is also worth noting that I am runnning 900 us of wiretap as well, ramping up once boost hits 6 psi.

Next comes timing. 

1500 rpm: 16*

2000 rpm: 18*

2500 rpm: 22*

3000 rpm: 24*

Max: 26*

Timing reduction: 5* ( max timing to pull if at WOT and 0 psi, linear ramp up as boost comes up / TPS decreases) 

Fuel load timing: 2* ( how much timing to pull at 0% load, timing will reach the rpm limit if duration is at %100)

light throttle timing: 2* ( not really considered during the lug down test as they go WOT)

So questions,

the theory is you pull timing to reduce smoke offidle?  I have to say I ran 5 different tunes that were exactly the same other than timing reduction value, I honestly couldn't see any differences between WOT offilde at 11* of timing vs 16 * of timing.  little confused by that.  

Anyone have any insight in regards to what to do with timing to maximize fueling without increasing smoke?

You're only allowed 20%?  In Golden we can have up to 35%.  Thought that was a a state wide thing. When I did my emissions in February,  I went in all happy with my road-tested, smoke free DD tune set to 70% on level 1, and the guy was still able to get smoke out of it (10%!).  I think I was starting off with fueling at 82% back then, but don't remember the other parameters.  Long story short, it took me by surprise and I was sad. :(

1 hour ago, trreed said:

You're only allowed 20%?  In Golden we can have up to 35%.  Thought that was a a state wide thing.

I honestly cannot find ANY documents that specify what ocapity is allowed in El Paso county but the sheet every year says %20.  I am going to ask this time for the specification they follow because %20 is stupid low for our altitude.

@TFaoro if only I had time to mess with it, I would love to.  I would also love to try a set of 7 x .011's with pop pressure set to 330 bar.

Edited by Me78569

Just now, Me78569 said:

I honestly cannot find ANY documents that specify what ocapity is allowed in El Paso county but the sheet every year says %20.  I am going to ask this time for the specification they follow because %20 is stupid low for our altitude.

@TFaoro if only I had time to mess with it, I would love to.  I would also love to try a set of 7 x .011's with pop pressure set to 330 bar.

Just need an endless bucket of money right? :shifty: 

only if that bucket of money is topped off with time. 

edit:

looks like  I may have found the document....

V. Opacity Standards for Diesel-Powered Motor Vehicles Subject to Part B of This Regulation
V.A. In order for a vehicle (owner) to obtain a valid Certification of Emissions Compliance, the exhaust opacity from the diesel-powered motor vehicle subject to the annual Diesel Opacity Inspection Program may not exceed the following maximum opacity level.
V.B. The smoke opacity standard for all naturally aspirated Light-duty diesel vehicles subject to opacity test under Part B of this regulation shall be forty percent (40%) opacity for (5) five seconds. The smoke opacity standard for turbocharged Light-duty vehicles shall be thirty-five percent (35%) for five (5) seconds.

It appears that either El Paso county does not follow this document from the state, or that it has changed since last year, or that exhaust readers in the Springs is not following the standard.

36 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

only if that bucket of money is topped off with time. 

I could use some of that time stuff too!

36 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

edit:

looks like  I may have found the document....

It appears that either El Paso county does not follow this document from the state, or that it has changed since last year, or that exhaust readers in the Springs is not following the standard.

Crank it up so it's 32% and when they fail you, hand em the document.

• Like 2

The DMV got back to me.  the limit state wide is %35 for 5 seconds.  :headscratch:   they can't point me to a document however.... gotta love government lol.  

Oh well I have the doc.  I hope the exhaust readers here don't limit me to %20 because I don't have time to raise a stink lolol.  I am sure I can pass below %35 no matter what they do.  now I am just trying to fine tune my tune to get as much power as possible while passing emissions

So back on topic 

@AH64ID @carbur8tr Any thoughts on low rpm / offidle timing levels to help reduce smoke when fueling commanded is held at a position?  I was pretty confused when I couldn't notice a difference between 11* of timing and 17* of timing.  

Edited by Me78569

• Staff

Retarded timing should spool faster and reduce smoke, but it may not be as effective without a pilot?

My emissions tune was a turd! It was my first one so I went overboard. 50% duration and near stock timing with a pedal so soft it was silly to drive... turns out all they do here is ask you to rev to 2500 rpms 3 times. 

I'll have to look when I get home but my opacity was stupid low too. 

8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Retarded timing should spool faster and reduce smoke, but it may not be as effective without a pilot?

Reduce smoke as a result of getting boost up faster or reduce smoke as a result of moving the flame later into the stroke and getting a more complete burn?  

• Staff
Just now, Me78569 said:

Reduce smoke as a result of getting boost up faster or reduce smoke as a result of moving the flame later into the stroke and getting a more complete burn?  

Both. Initially from the burn timing and continued from the additional airflow. 

humm  ok. that matches everything I have read and been told.  

I am gonna do some more playing today after work.  I'll set the VGT wide open and do a couple of tunes with various timing curves and see if I can get some results.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I hope the exhaust readers here don't limit me to %20 because I don't have time to raise a stink lolol.

If Boulder can survive with 35% opacity, El Paso County should be able to as well.. lol.

I will fight them tooth and nail if I fail below %35 lol.  The DMV told me %35 lol.

I really don't trust them already since they are the only emissions station in town.  I know for sure it said %20 limit on the slip I got last year.  

So, forgive my question, but I have zero experience with emissions testing where I'm from. I may, however, be moving somewhere soon that tests.

Anyway, When I blip the throttle, whether in gear or neutral, I get a pretty good puff of smoke from the 7x0.014 injectors before it cleans up. I believe this because the quad takes a little bit of time to take control, as it releases control at idle. Does this sound right? If so, what do you think I could do about this? Put a little hook on the throttle so I have a minimum 1% throttle position at idle? Haha.

The real question is, would this little puff be enough to fail?

Edited by kzimmer

depends on the test method.  

I know our laws are %35 for 5 seconds    you might just adjust the idle stop to make it sit at %2 throttle or something.  That will make the quadilla always be on I suppose.   

I also created a arduino tool to "buffer" the tps input lol.   It worked pretty well, but effectively it would slowly increase throttle on snap throttle changes.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kzimmer said:

So, forgive my question, but I have zero experience with emissions testing where I'm from. I may, however, be moving somewhere soon that tests.

Anyway, When I blip the throttle, whether in gear or neutral, I get a pretty good puff of smoke from the 7x0.014 injectors before it cleans up. I believe this because the quad takes a little bit of time to take control, as it releases control at idle. Does this sound right? If so, what do you think I could do about this? Put a little hook on the throttle so I have a minimum 1% throttle position at idle? Haha.

The real question is, would this little puff be enough to fail?

Easiest method.... swap the injectors out during testing time. Those are big injectors, and you might never get off idle to be smoke free.

1 minute ago, TFaoro said:

Easiest method.... swap the injectors out during testing time. Those are big injectors, and you might never get off idle to be smoke free.

Where's your sense of adventure! Haha. If I stab the throttle from 1-2% TPS, I can keep the smoke out of it. But you're right, that would be the wisest solution.