• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
flagmanruss

PhotoBucket TOS changed without warning

Like many others, I discovered that PhotoBucket changed it's Terms of Service on the 20th June 2017, when my photo links were blocked.  Only a $399 paid account will allow linked photos going forward.  Apparently PB is going for a new business model... which includes pissing off your client base.  Sites, around the world, are affected.  People are unable to retrieve their photos.  Little more than legalized extortion.

For short term needs, the easy answer is switching to another similar service but incurs the same risk.  

I don't really need a web site but what do i need for photo hosting?  I know photos can generally be copied but still like the option of removing them from the host if need be.  I had to do it once. 

Ideas?

Edited by flagmanruss

Part of the problem is that camera resolution has improved quite a bit over the years. So hosting sites that host photos are most likely feeling the pinch of hardware to attempt to keep storing these huge photos. Not to mention the huge increase in bandwidth to allow these photos to be linked out to other sites. Give you a feel for this. The hosting I'm on right now provides 90 GB of hard drive and 3TB of bandwidth. Sound like a lot?! Here is my drive space currently...

Drive, Total Space, Used Space, Remaining, Percent Used.

/dev/vda1        89G   43G   47G  48% /

Bandwidth wise I'm coming close once in awhile to touching 1 TB of usage. As for M73M it cost $60 a month for just the hosting. So I can see then pushing to a subscription-based hosting because of the overhead of hosting.

Most really resent the drastic TOS change being made without notice.  No grace period, nada.   I want to explore affordable alternatives to hosting services. 

Postimg.org and imgur.com are my two go-to's for hosting images.  I've disliked photobucket from the start.

I have opened a Postimgage.org account as a stop gap.  TinyPic are a PhotoBucket subsidiary... no way!  I've been busy actually reading the Terms Of Service for various host sites.  I'm thinking of separating different hobbies into different hosts to protect them. 

I am interested in a low cost site, that I'd own even if it cost a few bucks. THANKS! 

IF anyone has a PhotoBucket acct & your images are not blocked, I suggest you not log in or use it.  I think doing so gives acceptance of their NEW TOS.  Images on the forum I Admin (last man standing... I didn't set it up) are still up... in a different PhotoBucket Account.    We'll see!

That all sucks. Hope you get it worked out. I am firm believer of keeping mine on a memory card. That way if I loose it is my fault. I seem to be at fault a lot.

This almost sounds like one of those ransomware attacks where they hold your file for ransom.

I have kept most of my images on my computer & a back up drive.  but every image I've ever posted on any forum... including this one... is linked through PhotoBucket.  At least until last Tuesday. 

If they want to take their business in a different direction, that is their priviledge.  To do this without notice...  was deliberate.  They want to piss of the customer base so wew delete our accounts reducing their costs.  I already have.  I might have left it there to take up their resources...  

Only despirate parties will pay the ransom... 

On 6/30/2017 at 7:38 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Part of the problem is that camera resolution has improved quite a bit over the years. So hosting sites that host photos are most likely feeling the pinch of hardware to attempt to keep storing these huge photos. Not to mention the huge increase in bandwidth to allow these photos to be linked out to other sites. Give you a feel for this. The hosting I'm on right now provides 90 GB of hard drive and 3TB of bandwidth. Sound like a lot?! Here is my drive space currently...

Drive, Total Space, Used Space, Remaining, Percent Used.

/dev/vda1        89G   43G   47G  48% /

Bandwidth wise I'm coming close once in awhile to touching 1 TB of usage. As for M73M it cost $60 a month for just the hosting. So I can see then pushing to a subscription-based hosting because of the overhead of hosting.

Bingo...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/30/photobucket_charging_400yr_3rdparty_pgs/

On the one hand, it's reasonable for Photobucket to ask for some help in footing its bandwidth bills for serving up images for folks on other websites; on the other hand, it will break a lot of graphics posted on the 'net and inlined in forums and blogs.

More...

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I was among the first to fall into the trap with my personal photos.  I will not log into the account which hosts my forum banner.  It's still up. 

curently working on getting my server at the office updated with 8x 450 gb sas drives to handle something like coppermine.  Tired of dealing with this stuff haha.

Sign in to follow this