• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

I agree with @jlbayes, something looks goofy with those studs. First picture is of the stud in the same location on my truck. The longer ones go on the exhaust manifold side, so I'm wondering if you don't have 6 longer ones hiding under the valve cover. 

Second picture is of a shorter stud torqued to 135 ft-lbs. (I have ARP 2000's, the cheaper) Since I can't see the same amount of thread on your stud, I bet it's not torqued properly. Good thing the head is coming off!

And finally, I'm betting those are 625's. Torque on those is 150 ft.lbs.  No guarantee of the o-ringed head or previous high performance operation, as some people like to have the strongest possible to prevent issues. 

IMG_3717.JPG.ce546bba0c53f5e75a636aa2acada499.JPGIMG_3716.JPG.207e8a3dcf2e2c20cd4a0eb0d14d7d86.JPG

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

He has thread sticking above and that is not such a big deal. What I am looking at is the bottom of the nut and top of the washer. It may just be the shadow messing with me.

They are tite, the shadow is messing with you. When I first got the truck it seeped oil out of the front stud, so I took the nut off and put RTV in the hole and torqued it down to 150, not knowing correct spec. It's been like that for 6 years now, and finally oil is coming from head gasket. 

10 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

He has thread sticking above and that is not such a big deal. What I am looking at is the bottom of the nut and top of the washer. It may just be the shadow messing with me.

They are tite, the shadow is messing with you. When I first got the truck it seeped oil out of the front stud, so I took the nut off and put RTV in the hole and torqued it down to 150, not knowing correct spec. It's been like that for 6 years now, and finally oil is coming from head gasket. 

@trreed they sure do look silver, unless some knock off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trreed said:

Look closely at the nuts and studs.  ARP should be stamped into both, along with the thread pitch on the nut.

I'll take a look when I get home, I know the stud doesn't not sure on the nut. Nuts almost look a bit purple in color. 

Is there a drain plug on the block someplace to drain antifreeze so it doesn't get into cilynders, or taking lower radiator hose will do it. 

How long do valve seals usually last on these motors, would be easy to change while head is off but if they'll go another 150k I'm not messing with them, lots of things can happen between now and then. I think @Mopar1973Man mentioned something about his getting week and at 300k that's not bad. I have 150k on mine and no signs of blue smoke on start up. I will pull few random valves out to check guides for looseness. @TFaoro @jlbayes did you put new guides in, I was told pull valve out and put finger over guide if creates vacuume good if like hot dog in a hallway bad, any truth to that.

Edited by Dieselfuture

42 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Is there a drain plug on the block someplace to drain antifreeze so it doesn't get into cilynders, or taking lower radiator hose will do it. 

How long do valve seals usually last on these motors, would be easy to change while head is off but if they'll go another 150k I'm not messing with them, lots of things can happen between now and then. I think @Mopar1973Man mentioned something about his getting week and at 300k that's not bad. I have 150k on mine and no signs of blue smoke on start up. I will pull few random valves out to check guides for looseness. @TFaoro @jlbayes did you put new guides in, I was told pull valve out and put finger over guide if creates vacuume good if like hot dog in a hallway bad, any truth to that.

Bottom driver side of the radiator is the drain. It twists and pulls out.

I would replace the seals no matter what. If the guides look fine I wouldn't mess with them. Mine were still tight (Within spec) at 188K - that was determined by the machine shop though.

2 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Bottom driver side of the radiator is the drain. It twists and pulls out.

I would replace the seals no matter what. If the guides look fine I wouldn't mess with them. Mine were still tight (Within spec) at 188K - that was determined by the machine shop though.

Gottcha on the seals, was thinking doing them anyways just want to get more input on longevity of them. Even on gas motors they seem to last close to 300k anymore. Wasn't worried about draining radiator had it out twice already. I was asking about the block. Didn't know if there is a screw in plug on the bottom of the block someplace so when I pop the head coolant didn't get in cylinders. But I think no matter what it will still get in there, I'll just shove some gags in there.

Well drove the truck a little harder yesterday just for fun since head is coming off anyway. Noticed reserve tank for coolant is low, so I put 2 Barsleak tablets in added coolant and drove it again, oil started to leak much quicker when it got up to temperature. Somehow there is a connection there where coolant is effecting oil leak. But oil and coolant do not mix. So I decided not to wait any longer and taking chances on getting stranded somewhere and started to take things off. So far only turbo came off an it's pretty rusty and swelled up where exhaust housing bolts up, not sure if there is enough beef left to put it back together. 20170706_202520.jpg.206692b4ef849ddddda1d4312b45e4e9.jpg

Also I could not find any markings on the studs or nuts that say ARP,  do they or did they ever made any that were not identified. If not what the ... do I have ...:think:

Unless they are A1 H11

Edited by Dieselfuture

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Gottcha on the seals, was thinking doing them anyways just want to get more input on longevity of them. Even on gas motors they seem to last close to 300k anymore. Wasn't worried about draining radiator had it out twice already. I was asking about the block. Didn't know if there is a screw in plug on the bottom of the block someplace so when I pop the head coolant didn't get in cylinders. But I think no matter what it will still get in there, I'll just shove some gags in there.

If you start the radiator draining then pull the thermostat housing and thermostat it'll drain the block as the radiator drains. you only need it below the head anyway.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

What do you guys think on the turbo I got

The turbo looks rough. It depends on how bad it falls apart as you take it apart. Hopefully the housing is salvageable.

The inside of the compressor housing looks very clean to me, so at least you don't have an oil leak there.  I understand the desire to rebuild it since it's out, but to your point, if it's working fine it may be unnecessary.  Unless a swelled housing really bothers you, the cheapest route would be to put it back on.  

Ideally I need a new or newer housing that is machined for hx40 turbine to make it a hibryd, isn't it how a hibryd is made? @Mopar1973Man that turbo you got from one of the guys on this site ended up being a hibryd. Did it look like hx35 and the only thing was the exhaust turbine was different size then your old one? I'm guessing exhaust housing was machined to fit bigger wheel. 

The hybrid part happens on the compressor side. It utilizes the same exhaust housing and turbine as the HX35, and the compressor housing and backing plate are machined to fit a HX40 compressor wheel.  

• Like 1