• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

• Owner
1 minute ago, trreed said:

What I would do is go find a used Borg Warner S362 for around the same price and not look back.  But, you wouldn't be able to use your exhaust brake with a 4" outlet

That's why I compromised and did the HX35/40 hybrid (60/60/12). I was able to get really close to the 62/68/12 specs and still keep my exhaust brake also still keep my 3" exhaust yet.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Being I'm running stock injectors against a 60/60/12 HX35/40 hybrid I can say it very laggy.

Are you going to put your 75hp back in? Would that fix the lag. I got a set of 75 I'm planning on putting in, had them for a while now, been gone through by dap when they couldn't take em as a core when I got my 60s I had 75s rebuild. But they are 8 hole not sure vco or sac.

That's why I compromised and did the HX35/40 hybrid (60/60/12). I was able to get really close to the 62/68/12 specs and still keep my exhaust brake also still keep my 3" exhaust yet.

Ideally that's probably what I need, I was just thinking if I'm buying new parts, should I go to 62 inducer or is too much. I suppose I can get 100hp injectors, but also want a good spool and mpg and lower egts, man am I asking a lot. 

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

The spray pattern looks concerning, unless you wiped some pistons and didn't wipe some.

Seemed like front and back cylinders were not as dirty and had fuel on all of them guessing from pulling injectors, so yes I wiped them all down but front and back were much cleaner after wiping. 

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I would stay away from ebay for turbo parts unless it's a reputable company selling on ebay. Are you going with more power? Bigger injectors? Currently having excessive heat issues?

Mine were much worse, but they're still working for now.

I'll stay away unless it's genuine parts. I'd like a bit more power nothing like you but want a decent set up, at least a good hybrid that I can manage egts when towing and still have decent mpg. Just didn't know if 62 inducer is too much. I don't think I have excessive heat but it can get pretty warm.

Stock turbo is fine for +60 HP injectors. 62/68/12 wouldn't be bad upgrade if he's running a Quadzilla Adrenaline tuner with his +60 HP injectors.

So with  75hp and quad I should be ok with 62 I'm guessing

@trreed thanks for pointing out the housing, but originally I thought about getting a non gated housing and drive by guage and quad set limits. You guys talked me in to staying with 12cm as I don't need a race truck but something dependable, lol, as I'm always fixing something on it. Yes I wouldn't mind a working wastegate set at 35psi or so but last time I freed mine up in few months it quit working. So if 10 blade needs machining then a 35/40 hybrid like @Mopar1973Man has, is exhaust housing and turbine same as mine now? And only the front housing and turbine is different?  I understand I need to machine bearing housing for bigger turbine but not sure what about exhaust housing. 

Not sure about my spray pattern, what's it mean to you guys,  too much timing not enough? 

75 HP injectors would be a good match for a 35/40 hybrid, then use the quad to fine tune it.  

The exhaust housing and turbine remain the same size as yours (60mm turbine, 12cm housing) in a hybrid setup like @Mopar1973Man's.  The reason I would recommend a wastegate with a 35/40 hybrid is to prevent overspeeding the shaft, as the bigger compressor wheel extends the compressor map and the turbine wheel becomes the limiting factor.

I would not, however, recommend something like a 62/60/12.  The bigger compressor wheel could cause pretty bad barking, and with a 7mm shaft, could lead to a bad time.  If you're set on a 62mm inducer, then I'd look into exhaust housing machining to fit a 65 or 68mm turbine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trreed said:

75 HP injectors would be a good match for a 35/40 hybrid, then use the quad to fine tune it.  

The exhaust housing and turbine remain the same size as yours (60mm turbine, 12cm housing) in a hybrid setup like @Mopar1973Man's.  The reason I would recommend a wastegate with a 35/40 hybrid is to prevent overspeeding the shaft, as the bigger compressor wheel extends the compressor map and the turbine wheel becomes the limiting factor.

I would not, however, recommend something like a 62/60/12.  The bigger compressor wheel could cause pretty bad barking, and with a 7mm shaft, could lead to a bad time.  If you're set on a 62mm inducer, then I'd look into exhaust housing machining to fit a 65 or 68mm turbine. 

Settle down Tater.....

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

Are you going to put your 75hp back in? Would that fix the lag. I got a set of 75 I'm planning on putting in, had them for a while now, been gone through by dap when they couldn't take em as a core when I got my 60s I had 75s rebuild. But they are 8 hole not sure vco or sac.

Ideally that's probably what I need, I was just thinking if I'm buying new parts, should I go to 62 inducer or is too much. I suppose I can get 100hp injectors, but also want a good spool and mpg and lower egts, man am I asking a lot. 

Seemed like front and back cylinders were not as dirty and had fuel on all of them guessing from pulling injectors, so yes I wiped them all down but front and back were much cleaner after wiping. 

I'll stay away unless it's genuine parts. I'd like a bit more power nothing like you but want a decent set up, at least a good hybrid that I can manage egts when towing and still have decent mpg. Just didn't know if 62 inducer is too much. I don't think I have excessive heat but it can get pretty warm.

So with  75hp and quad I should be ok with 62 I'm guessing

@trreed thanks for pointing out the housing, but originally I thought about getting a non gated housing and drive by guage and quad set limits. You guys talked me in to staying with 12cm as I don't need a race truck but something dependable, lol, as I'm always fixing something on it. Yes I wouldn't mind a working wastegate set at 35psi or so but last time I freed mine up in few months it quit working. So if 10 blade needs machining then a 35/40 hybrid like @Mopar1973Man has, is exhaust housing and turbine same as mine now? And only the front housing and turbine is different?  I understand I need to machine bearing housing for bigger turbine but not sure what about exhaust housing. 

Not sure about my spray pattern, what's it mean to you guys,  too much timing not enough? 

@jlbayes can probably talk more to the injector / piston dirtiness.

Trying to get valves out so I can take this thing in to shop. What's the best way to release keepers, I usually slightly tap on them and they  come apart, but these are stubborn. @TFaoro @jlbayes @trreed59641eec821c9_2017-07-1019_39_24.jpg.bce6e5e3cff248e5ebf55007d34fda5a.jpg

Nevermind guys I ended up setting it's on the concrete floor on a towel and stood on top of it they all came out that way. Thanks either way.

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

To change seals, check guides  and magnaflex, to save money at shop for disassemble 

Did they say they would charge you less? The shop I had mine done at specifically wanted them in to ensure they didn't get mixed up.

On 7/10/2017 at 7:57 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Needing some advice on my turbo, I want to get compressor housing with wheel but few options here. This one is 62x86, supposed to be largest available for hx35. Listed as cH11 . http://www.gillettdiesel.com/HXUpgradeCompressorHousingandWheel60mm6blade-1-1.aspx

There are other ones but thinking to go with ch11. Then machine my bearing housing for larger wheel. And hopefully be able to reuse my exhaust housing with turbine wheel. If not i can get this 12cm long, should bolt up to my exhaust brake. They have 14cm too. 

http://www.gillettdiesel.com/12cmnon-wastegatedturbinehousing-3.aspx

And there is this wheel on ebay it's 10 blade vs 12 what are the thoughts on it.  http://m.ebay.com/itm/111577452460

I'm guessing I need to stay with 12cm exhaust housing. 

Another thing is this bearing section also from eBay  http://m.ebay.com/itm/Holset-HX40-HX35-Bearing-Housing-/111587767332?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

My guess is from China maybe,  but it says he can machine it for whatever and put a oring grove if needed, do I need an oring grove. For $55 new bearing carier machined to larger wheel seems like a good deal.     @Mopar1973Man

@jlbayes @TFaoro @trreed

Thanks guys. 

Call DAP and ask about the BW K27. It reuses the holset downpipe connector I believe, so you can use your exhaust brake. Brand new. I've said this before, when I put the 60mm wheel and cover on my WH1C, it surged like crazy, exhaust couldn't keep. Then I upgraded to a 14cm exhaust housing, still surged. Then I ran  a 58mm wheel and cover with 14cm housing, no surging, it ran fine. 14cm keeps cruising temps down, with some lag down low. Now, I have a super b, little laggy off the line, but good when cruising.

I called thoroughbred diesel about the K27, they said the super b would be better, but that doesn't help you. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Did they say they would charge you less? The shop I had mine done at specifically wanted them in to ensure they didn't get mixed up.

I keep it all separate in case something changes. I'm taking 2 valves in with the head just to get an opinion from them. Guides did seem a bit lose and had oil on valves when I pulled them out. I just can't afford 1500 it ran fine before. I'll put new seals on and put it all back together unless they say guides are horrible.

Ok....I typically let the machine shop do that as they SHOULD be pulling it all to surface the head. As well as can pressure test the head. I would bet money the head is cracked....pressure test is the ONLY way to know if the head is junk or not. Unless something obvious is wrong lol

• Like 1

At the shop now, some valve guides are very lose like oval shape. So I'm having them do everything, new guides, valve job, etc. So far I got on their good side and suppose to be at $850 out the door. Including pressure testing 

They're going to call me later today and let me know on maging test. Now that he's going to regrinde all valves he said just toss all the valves and springs in a box and bring them over. Are springs all same pressure 60# I assume. @jlbayes @TFaoro

Turbo will probably have to wait I'm going to try to rebuild what I got, unless someone got a hybrid they want to send me:whistle2:

There she lies, cause it's a bitc..

59652354c75ad_2017-07-1114_13_35.jpg.7b0179d4f016a7539afc5f3d9edad04d.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

Yes understood, that's why they going to mag it before they go any further

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

Call DAP and ask about the BW K27. It reuses the holset downpipe connector I believe, so you can use your exhaust brake. Brand new. I've said this before, when I put the 60mm wheel and cover on my WH1C, it surged like crazy, exhaust couldn't keep. Then I upgraded to a 14cm exhaust housing, still surged. Then I ran  a 58mm wheel and cover with 14cm housing, no surging, it ran fine. 14cm keeps cruising temps down, with some lag down low. Now, I have a super b, little laggy off the line, but good when cruising.

I called thoroughbred diesel about the K27, they said the super b would be better, but that doesn't help you. 

Thank you for going in detail on what you did. Sure sounds like something I would of been doing. 

Is K27 or similar be ok with 75hp injectors and how is it for Towing and mpgs. If it's all that much better I might consider selling my exhaust brake and maybe later get an inline one. Unless K27 be perfect. What are the dimensions on it, anyone know.