• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

Well I hate to say that word head gasket, but I got oil bubbling out of front right, by head bolt just to the right looking from front( I got ARP's from po. ) It bubbles tiny little bit from head gasket and running down front cover, not enough to drip on the ground yet. Wondering where is a good place to get parts from, like a gasket set and whatever else I may need. Though about mabe going through the turbo but want to up size to at least a hybrid, so might just leave it be. Another thing is I already have ARP studs but not sure which ones, how do I tell, I know there is more than one choise. Will need to know torque on them when putting the hradon backnowledge on. Can I get the head off without removing studs looks pretty close. I will take the head to machine shop to surface and maybe even check for cracks, since I heard 24 valve heads like to crack sometimes. Will probably do a valve job and new seals at the same time. Not sure about ringing the head. The T at the back of the head, what's the best way going about it. Thanks for any advice. I will probably be lining up parts for a while and keep driving the truck,  unless it gets real bad or just blows out. I'm guessing there is an oil passage somewhere up front, just not sure how it's getting pushed out, oil pump pressure? Does it have something to do with coolant, I don't think I'm using any, maybe a little I had to put about a quart in the other day, will keep an eye on it. 

20170630_174520.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

17 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

. Wondering where is a good place to get parts from, like a gasket set and whatever else I may need

Go to Cummins for the gaskets.

Another thing is I already have ARP studs but not sure which ones, how do I tell, I know there is more than one choise. Will need to know torque on them when putting the hradon backnowledge on.

There are only 2 "types" of studs for ours, so likely they are the ARP 2000's. (The 625's are over a grand, so I doubt it)  ARP torque spec is 125 ft-lb

Not sure about ringing the head

I don't really see the need for O rings at your power level. You could, but I don't see the point.

You should make sure the deck is flat as well. (Use a machinists square)

Can I get the head off without removing studs looks pretty close

No. You can't get the head high enough in the rear with the studs in.

Make sure you check how tight that stud it's leaking around too. You may just be able to tighten it.

• Like 1

What do you do with injector hold downs, considering people say not to mess with back bolts and just lose fronts. I'll be taking naked head to machine shop ( just valves left in ) , how do I get them back In right place when ready to put injectors in. @TFaoro @jlbayes

Would this be what I need? https://www.genosgarage.com/product/gasket-4090035/gaskets-and-seals

Thank you, I hate not having parts when resembling. :thumb1:

True, I'm just a bit anal about it and like to get right things ahead of time, although I done that before and still have unused parts laying around.  How's Victor rienz compare to cummins, I used it on other motors and local rebuilder likes their prodact too. But for 60 more bucks I don't mind getting cummins stuff. 

Can one guy get the head off or does it take two, what's it waight anyway looks heavy. Getting exited here. Probably going to tear in to in next week. Still need to use the truck this coming weekend. 

I always leave the back hold down bolts in. Machine shop has no need to mess with them.

That gasket kit is EVERYTHING for the top end. You would likely only need the intake plate gasket, head gasket and manifold gasket. Maybe intake seals if they touch the guides.

• Like 2

Oh boy, just got off the phone with machine shop and got a quote of $1500 bucks :wow:to go through the head. They said more than likely vale guides need redone and by that time might as well do valve job assuming head isn't cracked. He says 50/50 chance on cracked head. To resurface and clean about $280 out the door, if valves don't have to come out which I don't think they do. So here I am stock on deciding do I take a chance ( which I probably will) or do I do it right the first time. But in my mind to do it right I need to deck the block too and might as well go through the motor. It runs good, starts right up so I need some intellectual advice.

Taging a few of you that I know delt with this, thanks for the help. @Mopar1973Man @jlbayes @TFaoro

How are we supposed to get a million miles again, is it like having a hammer in a family for 3 generations that only had 5 handles and 2 heads replaced, but still a same hammer:think:.

Edited by Dieselfuture

Check the price on a new head from Cummins. If I remember right it's less than that.

I wouldn't just have it surfaced though. You'll regret it if something goes wrong.

You do not have to deck the block to do it "right." If it's flat, then you're just wasting money. Mine was left untouched even though I had the block machined.

I'd check the block with a machinist square, and if it's good don't worry about the bottom end. (Assuming no scoring on the cylinder walls)

Guy told me new bare head is 700 plus all the work on it will be around 2k, I see what you mean a new assembled head from cummins might be cheaper then rebuilding this one. 

I'm probably going to pull it off and pull a valve or two out and see how the guides are, if everything looks ok I'll probably just take a chance on surfacing it. Might not even do valve seals, all I got is oil leaking from front and it's not even that bad, just don't want to have it blow out on the road. I know not the greatest choice but money is tight and I've spent too much on it already. So...we'llsee how it goes. How bad was your head when you did it, did it need all the new guides and valve job? @TFaoro Maybe some RTV will take careof it. 

@Mopar1973Man was this the rebuild kit you recently used  https://dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169/

@jlbayes you probably right on75/25 but I don't have a lot of choice, sure not going to spend 1500 to rebuild a head. Probably will just surface it and put it back on, I will relap the valves and put new seals on myself if needed. Might even do a little porting just for fun, nothing crazy just to clean it up. Also heard you mention in a different post, friend of yours has a good place for a hybrid Turbo, could you remind me where that is, please. I really like having my exhaust brake and I think hybrid is about the only way I'm going to gain with what I got.

@Mopar1973Man was this the rebuild kit you recently used  https://dieselautopower.com/holset-genuine-hx35-rebuild-kit-3575169/

@jlbayes you probably right on75/25 but I don't have a lot of choice, sure not going to spend 1500 to rebuild a head. Probably will just surface it and put it back on, I will relap the valves and put new seals on myself if needed. Might even do a little porting just for fun, nothing crazy just to clean it up. Also heard you mention in a different post, friend of yours has a good place for a hybrid Turbo, could you remind me where that is, please. I really like having my exhaust brake and I think hybrid is about the only way I'm going to gain with what I got.

I cleaned top of the stud and it looks silver to me, what are the chances someone spend some serious bucks on this truck before, like maybe an oringed head too? And then when they sold it put old injectors and turbo in. Just guessing at this point, but here is a picture of a stud right behind tstat housing 

20170705_174837.jpg

I know there is a shadow on that nut but is it tightened down all the way? It looks a bit odd.

North American Turbo Systems.

Fwiw the head that is on my green truck is full of cracks. It just got surfaced and reinstalled. The engine in it is a throw away so I was not concerned about it.

• Like 1