• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

http://dodgeram.info/2001/towing-charts.html

This chart is saying max payload for my 01 long bed 2500 is right around 3,000lbs. I don't have time to drive an hour to steal my buddies dump trailer and was just going to put 2 tons of stone in the back of my truck. I'm debating just putting 1 ton in the back to be safe, since having my rear end rebuilt not too long ago. Any input? When I first got the truck I had 2 tons of stone dust in the back no issues, but that was pre rebuild. Gravel pit is less than 10 miles from my house. 

The most I ever put in mine was 2 cubes of brick, that is near 5k pounds. The brick was about 45 miles from the job. I was able to load it from the front of the bed back so as to spread the weight to both axles. The truck handle it fine. I did give myself plenty room but never had a problem stopping. 80% of the trip was interstate. I would not be afraid to do it again but would not want to do it on a regular basis. 

• Like 2

• Staff

A vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is determined by how much weight the suspension can tolerate be for a failure in a component, by it's braking ability in a given distance at a set speed and the ability of the tires to carry the weight with out overheating and blowing out .  Overloaded and you may not stop in time and go right through a red light.

• Staff

On HD pickups GVWR is more often a marketing thing than anything else. Don't exceed your tire ratings and do what you need to. The suspension/axle/frame are all stronger than your tires. 

I've had 2 tons of pellets in my truck bed before. It's heavy but wasn't overloading anything. 

In terms of loading evenly on both axles if there is as much weight in front of the rear axle as behind it then all the weight goes on the rear axle. The only way to have weight get on the front axle is to have the loads center of gravity be in front of the rear axle, which is harder to do on these pickups with the location of the rear axle. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

Many heavy loads of firewood hauled...

2n08rk4.jpg

The only thing I will mention even being above GVWR but below the tire capacity doesn't mean to inflate the tires all to 80 PSI. With a tire capacity of 3,042 pounds at 80 PSI that is 12,168 pounds or (+3,368 pound over GVWR). Even in the picture above, I'm sitting on my helper springs and only running 60 PSI all the way around. 

Be truthful those tire in the picture where Load Range G's rated for 3,750 pound at 110 PSI. That could have carried 15,000 pounds or (6,200 pounds over GVWR). So gotta still be careful because some tires will let you reach way over the GVWR.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

5 hours ago, AH64ID said:

On HD pickups GVWR is more often a marketing thing than anything else. Don't exceed your tire ratings and do what you need to. The suspension/axle/frame are all stronger than your tires. 

I've had 2 tons of pellets in my truck bed before. It's heavy but wasn't overloading anything. 

In terms of loading evenly on both axles if there is as much weight in front of the rear axle as behind it then all the weight goes on the rear axle. The only way to have weight get on the front axle is to have the loads center of gravity be in front of the rear axle, which is harder to do on these pickups with the location of the rear axle. 

I was able to put one cube of brick in the front of the bed and the other on right behind it on top of the rear axle. That help me get some of the weight on the front axle. No where near half the weight up front maybe 20%.

• Staff
2 hours ago, dripley said:

I was able to put one cube of brick in the front of the bed and the other on right behind it on top of the rear axle. That help me get some of the weight on the front axle. No where near half the weight up front maybe 20%.

Yeah it takes quite a bit to get weight on the front axle. 

Just sucks unloading it from the truck. I just did some landscape round the house ended up getting 5 tons wasn't enough then got three more had it delivered both times, but wife is working now so we could afford it. 

I always wanted to put a hydraulic tilt on my bed but never had a good reason to, just don't hole too much stuff that needs to be dumped anymore. 

Axle rating on M80 is 11000 pounds

Edited by Dieselfuture