• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Holes in exhaust

Well, was crawling around under the truck installing my Timbren's noticed two holes in the exhaust. Maybe a BB size hole in a couple of the welded seams. Is this something I should change out sooner then later? Or would I be good waiting until I get around to it?

Have access to a welder?  If so, I'd just fill those holes quick and forget about it.  Otherwise, you can get Tiger Tape from an auto parts store.  It's exhaust tape that hardens (almost steel-like when done) and stops leaks.

Edited by trreed

5" is gonna be too loud! Although that's what I really want. I would just rather it be quiet enough to when I'm pulling a camper with the fam, we can actually have a conversation lol! I was planning on a 4in with resonator.

Do it!!!!!  So my current setup is a 4" magnaflow with muffler (courtesy of @TFaoro) and the thing that quieted it down the most was a 14cm non gated housing.  At idle, I can only hear the turbine of the turbo, and I have to be standing at the bed to hear the actual exhaust note.  Compounds also quiets the truck down a lot as well.....  Food for thought, since you have that new trans...

I like my 5" with straight through mufler, but to patch yours up use something like thathttps://www.walmart.com/ip/Proflex-Shielded-Coupling-3-In.-No-Hub-Cast-Iron-To-3-In.-Copper-110621/152213470?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222228048179231&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=146917152386&wl4=pla-261094429132&wl5=9018656&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=152213470&wl13=&veh=sem

They come in different sizes and just spread some hi temp RTV inside before clamping it on. I wouldn't weld it you'll keep burning through,  brazing might work 

3 hours ago, trreed said:

Do it!!!!!  So my current setup is a 4" magnaflow with muffler (courtesy of @TFaoro) and the thing that quieted it down the most was a 14cm non gated housing.  At idle, I can only hear the turbine of the turbo, and I have to be standing at the bed to hear the actual exhaust note.  Compounds also quiets the truck down a lot as well.....  Food for thought, since you have that new trans...

Dont you put that compound evil on me! Hahah 

For now my plans are to upgrade to a 62/65/12 when the time comes. Not going to entertain twins until much further down the road. 

5in from what I've heard is just loud, no getting around, except for twins as you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of exhausts muffled so I'd like to stick with 4in with a resonator, I think that'd be a good compromise.

Also, here's what I'm working with so sorta limited. IMG_5158.JPG.843439f7fba126c630c4cead40a068fa.JPG

Edited by notlimah

3 hours ago, jlbayes said:

5" on both my trucks and they are very quiet.....

With twins or single? What brand?

20 minutes ago, CTcummins24V said:

I'm running a 5" with a muffler and FTE resonator to keep drone down. I would guess my old 4" was louder, 5" is just deeper sounding.

I remember the video you posted, it definitely sounds quiet! How loud is it with just the resonator?

4" with a single turbo and a muffler was nice in the cab but pretty loud outside.

4" with a single turbo straight pipe droned pretty bad in the cab.

4" with compounds and straight pipe was nice in the cab and fairly quiet outside.

5" with compounds and straight pipe drones a bit in the cab. I'll be getting a resonator for it.

1 hour ago, jlbayes said:

Yes it had a very nice sound to it. Diamondeye is on the 12v. 24v is homemade leftovers now lol

Were these straight piped?

43 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

4" with a single turbo and a muffler was nice in the cab but pretty loud outside.

4" with a single turbo straight pipe droned pretty bad in the cab.

4" with compounds and straight pipe was nice in the cab and fairly quiet outside.

5" with compounds and straight pipe drones a bit in the cab. I'll be getting a resonator for it.

Nice, what brand were you running?

I've been eyeing MBRP just because the exhaust angle exit looks the easiest to eliminate or cut down on drone.

That'll be very tight if you can make it fit.  That tire of yours is 32.71" diameter.

I currently have the stock 265/75/16 spare and the 4" exhaust is about 3/4" away from it.  That tire is 31.65" diameter.

So you're growing 1/2" in tire radius and 1/2" in exhaust radius, so they'd be touching... Unless you rigged up a heat shield or (god forbid) bash the tailpipe in to clear the tire

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1