• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going to look at this tonight

the divider wall is kicking my butt, gonna need to find someone with a plasma cutter I think.  Angle grinder is not going great haha.  

The good news is,

- got the battery  box "welded" on ( use that term loosely as I welded it on there)

- got the wiring into the tack area done, fuse block comes today

- got the trailer wiring tackled and redone.  It is always easier to cut everything out and start from scratch.  Thankfully the 7 pin wiring was good and untouched all the way to the rear of the trailer, so I just cut out all the  wiring from that point and put new stuff in.  That did require me to cut the rear 4" of floor out, but the floor needs to be replaced anyways.  

- got %90 of the surface rust ground off and repainted.

- got the trailer brakes sorted out,  still have one wire to crimp but it looks good. 

Started in on packing the bearing, but I am not able to find the seals locally so I had to order them....at $20 a pop...ouch.

Roof sealant tape comes in today so I might be tackling that.  

And I have to get it registered which requires a vin inspection so I can't do that until I get the bearings done.

• Like 1

its going to be more of an unfinished living quarters.  we are looking for a basic countertop with a sink and a removeable camp stove.  

Then a bed, some storage,  and a basic table  and seats that double as a place for the dogs to sleep inside of.  Goal is to have a trailer that doubles as a camper, horse trailer, moving trailer that keeps us dry.  I found it funny that there is an OEM sticker inside that says "this trailer is neither waterproof or water tight"   hahahahhaha we will see what we can do with it.  But thankfully with the work we are doing to it we can resell it in a few months if it isn't working out and not loose much money.  

I don't have any pic's of it now, but I will take some.

well I gotta say when you set the welder to the right voltage things are a lot nicer.  :doh:  

I am very proud of myself.  I am by no means an expert, actually only tried to lay a bead twice in my life..... but I ended up with this on a practice weld tonight

2400.jpg

I hit it with a big hammer and it didn't break so I am happy :woot:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

well I gotta say when you set the welder to the right voltage things are a lot nicer.  :doh:  

I am very proud of myself.  I am by no means an expert, actually only tried to lay a bead twice in my life..... but I ended up with this on a practice weld tonight

2400.jpg

I hit it with a big hammer and it didn't break so I am happy :woot:

Love the big hammer test!! :lmao: 

I've definitely seen worse welds! That really does look good for only trying a couple times in your life. Turn your heat up a bit, and run some slow consistent stringers.

• Like 1

Today I checked more things off

- Bearings packed ( hope I used enough, went through 1 tube of grease on all 4 wheels)

- Roof has been sealed for the living quarters.    

- Brakes have been adjusted and fixed.  It's amazing the difference between 1 axle with brakes and 2 axles with brakes.  

- Vin inspection done and tomorrow I will be getting plates for it.   I need to get a few horse loaded in to see how it sits, but I think I need to take the nose of the trailer down ~4 - 6"  Any suggestions?

IMG_20170718_181841.jpg

Then thursday we are off camping with it.  Gonna see if the old girl can pull it up I70 haha...  I might be doing 35 mph in 2nd on some of the climbs.

10 minutes ago, trreed said:

Is the tongue not adjustable?  Should be two 3/4" bolts holding the tongue in place.

That's probably why he is contemplating taking it down. 

What type of suspension is under it  @Me78569

Regardless I do think it needs to come down some. How far depends on how far the truck squats when fully loaded 

• Like 1

Do you have enough travel in the tongue to lower it as much as you'd like to? I'd start there, but that's really the only adjustment on the trailer side.  

Though for an unloaded trailer, it looks like it sits as it should (to me anyways).  When you get two horses in there plus all your camping gear, it may level itself out.

Edited by trreed

Horses that far back may exacerbate the issue instead of making it better..  In my opinion, best to leave it be and see how it sits loaded (your truck sure sits high in the back) or get trailer/truck 1-2" above level and go from there once you know how it sits loaded.

pro tip of the day.

Before you call yourself stupid 20 times because your lights aren't working again......replace your bulbs with new ones....  guess I had 2 bad bulbs that would work on and off.

• Like 4