• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going to look at this tonight

Man I hate Colorado....

Trailer came from Alabama, which does not title trailers of this age. 

I have a Bill of sale, and the offical letter from Alabama stating "hey won't title it"  And a Vin verification done along with previous titles that show ownership changes for the last 20 years.

However Colorado will not accept that, I need to go through a bond process to show the state that the trailer is not stolen or has a lien against it.

3 pages of steps to go through and about 20 different forms that have to be filled out and sent in.

issue is the trailer is from alabama, guy is military.  Alabama will not title a trailer.  So all he can give me is a bill of sale.  It was never titled in Colorado.

I have complete ownership history of the trailer for 20+ years, you figure that would be enough to prove there is no lien ( how can you have a lien with no title) and to prove the trailer is not stolen.  

Heck I even have the certified letter from the state of alabama stating that they "do not title trailers of that age or type"  I even have the copy of the montana title from the last owner.  

Edited by Me78569

oh, I thought it was from CO.  My bad.

(clarification: I read that it was originally from Alabama.  I thought it had changed hands enough times to be from CO before you got it.)

Edited by trreed

I know colorado can be real a..holes when it come to trailers,

@Me78569  you can always register it as a home made and save yourself a lot of red tape. Ive done that to a couple of trailers and its a pretty simple process. I just did a boat trailer a couple months ago, no bonding required, and very little paper work. The only thing is when you get your title it will just state HM. instead of the factory name, if you can live with that your good to go

@01cummins4ever

Does the state patrol have to inspect it?  It's over the weight limit for not having brakes.

Edit:

I still have to get the statepatrol to inspect it.  I am guessing that wont work because highway patrol will know its not homemade?

Edited by Me78569

If I remember right I think Colorado may require brakes on one axle up to a certain  weight 

I have had the local sheriff inspect my last one, It is a factory built trailer with obvious markings and I told them it came from Oregon which does not title trailers, He could not even find an existing vin #. He just filled out the form and gave to me to take to the DMV. Thier I just had to fill out a form stating That I had rebuilt the trailer and what I did to it. which was pretty much nothing except put new lights, spare tire carrier and repak the bearings.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, Me78569 said:

Today I checked more things off

- Bearings packed ( hope I used enough, went through 1 tube of grease on all 4 wheels)

- Roof has been sealed for the living quarters.    

- Brakes have been adjusted and fixed.  It's amazing the difference between 1 axle with brakes and 2 axles with brakes.  

- Vin inspection done and tomorrow I will be getting plates for it.   I need to get a few horse loaded in to see how it sits, but I think I need to take the nose of the trailer down ~4 - 6"  Any suggestions?

IMG_20170718_181841.jpg

Then thursday we are off camping with it.  Gonna see if the old girl can pull it up I70 haha...  I might be doing 35 mph in 2nd on some of the climbs.

Don't drop the trailer too far down if you have uneven roads like we do here. If the nose of the truck goes down the tail goes up and if it does so before the trailer goes over the hump you'll take the top of the bed corners off or even flatten the bed side right down. Ask me how I know. One reason I will never own another truck without a flat bed.

well I took it out camping this last weekend.  Truck was able to pull it fine up i-70 above 11000' altitude hold 65 mph which was nice.  I did have to gear down to 2nd locked at 45 to climb from silverthorn to eisenhower tunnel,  No big deal there.  

Managed to get 13 mpg heading up which is A-ok by me.. should be closer to 15-16 on flat ground.

stayed dry in the camper,  nice to have a full bed.    truck drove 10x better compared to having the camper in the bed. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else see the iriony of where I am having to send all these documents to get this thing registered?

IMG_20170809_165327.jpg

Yep the Department of Revenue.... ugh

good news is the certified Vin inspection with the Colorado Highway patrol went fine.  They signed off on everything and gave me more documents, thankfully they did warn me to fill out a few documents the DMV did not tell me about.  I asked about the homebuilt thing and they said they would not have allowed it given the documents and the various welded on tags etc.  

Oh well 3 steps closer.  Now I just have to get it appraised and get a surety bond on it, then wait for the documents to come back from the state.

No kididng.  

Now I have 7 days to get the trailer appraised before the temp tags expire.  So far the closest place I know of to do so is ~1 hour away up the pass.   

I have 2 more places to call locally to see if they can do it.

Edited by Me78569