• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com

We can see that your guest and been lurking about. When you register on the Mopar1973Man.Com site you'll be able to interact with all the other members. This is the most friendliest Cummins forum you'll ever join. Take the time right now and  REGISTER  on the Mopar1973Man.Com this will open up many more options and functions on the website. Everyone is very friendly and helpful just ask questions and everyone will help you out the best they can. 

Sign in to follow this  
Tony Gibbs

High idle switch

I can't seem to get my switch to work. I just left a friend and the local dodge house and he varied that the high idle was on. What do I do to get it to work?

Can you go into more detail in regards to how you are using it?  

Any codes?

Do you have a live data tool to read the sensor data for IAT and ECT?

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a current version setup. Also looks like it's in good condition.

Typically you toggle the mode BEFORE you start. So select 3 CYL or 6CYL for cold start. Then start the truck as normal. It should rise up in RPM within 5 minutes typically. It will not instantly rise up there is a period of time before the idle rises. It will step up slowly in about 100-150 RPM bumps till it reaches 1,200 RPM

3 CYL will not work if the coolant temp is above 140*F already.

6 CYL should work at any coolant temperature. 

If the high idle software isn't enabled it will not engage high idle no matter how long you wait... A lot of people have issues with a Dodge Dealer and getting the high idle enable correctly. Smarty tuner is the easiest just flash a tune then flash back to stock.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thank you mopar man I have been trying to use it wrong I have been trying to use it after starting. I will try it before I start and give y'all an update thank you for the help

Well it didn't work. I'm goin to have to find someone around ft worth Tx with a smarty that I can throw 50 there way to use it

Do you have a live data tool to read the sensor data for the truck?  that's the easiest way to know if the switch is working or not.  

I am pretty sure that you can rent a smarty from DAP for not too much money.

I took my truck to the dealer to have the computer flashed and the idle software turned on.  My switch didn't work so I went back and had them do it again.  It turns out they had done everything right the first time except turn the idle option on.