• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

That is one I didn't want to risk it with. If there happens to be GL-5 in it then it possible to do damage to the syncros. The whole problem is finding a GL-4 fluid that is synthetic and in the 75w-85 range. Being that Mobil SAE 50 is actual in the 90W range but the 100*C centistokes values isn't very far off from the factory fluid really close. 

That why I'm with Mobil 50 SAE Trans Fluid. so far I'm nearly 50k miles on it and the last inspection of fluid color still looked honey colored like right out of the 5 gallon bucket. Same stuff that Eaton Fuller transmission in big trucks uses. Now I know that I don't have to change at 50k miles because the fluid hasn't even darkened or discolored yet.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

13 hours ago, stevens cummins said:

Ok i was just at the parts store and see the valvoline 75w90 syn oil tjat states its gl-4 compatable, any info on weather this will work in a nv4500

If you can get the dealer fluid, do it.

• Owner

Dealer fluid is roughly 25 to 28 dollar a quart.  Making it $100 to $112 dollars a gallon. 

50W Transmission Fluid $139 for 5 gallons. Making it $27 a gallon or $6.80 quart... I say skip the dealer lube it no longer manufactured what is left on the shelf is going for high prices. Even half the price of AMSOil...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

33 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Dealer fluid is roughly 25 to 28 dollar a quart.  Making it $100 to $112 dollars a gallon. 

50W Transmission Fluid $139 for 5 gallons. Making it $27 a gallon or $6.80 quart... I say skip the dealer lube it no longer manufactured what is left on the shelf is going for high prices. Even half the price of AMSOil...

The price hasn't changed in quite a while. If $125 for a trans oil change is too much, that person shouldn't own a diesel.

I'm sure @AH64ID can go into the specifics as to why that oil is not the best to use, but we've already  hashed this out. At the end of the day it's your trans to do whatever you please with.

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is one I didn't want to risk it with. If there happens to be GL-5 in it then it possible to do damage to the syncros. The whole problem is finding a GL-4 fluid that is synthetic and in the 75w-85 range. Being that Mobil SAE 50 is actual in the 90W range but the 100*C centistokes values isn't very far off from the factory fluid really close. 

That why I'm with Mobil 50 SAE Trans Fluid. so far I'm nearly 50k miles on it and the last inspection of fluid color still looked honey colored like right out of the 5 gallon bucket. Same stuff that Eaton Fuller transmission in big trucks uses. Now I know that I don't have to change at 50k miles because the fluid hasn't even darkened or discolored yet.

Is this a gl-4 oil

• Staff

17 hours ago, stevens cummins said:

Ok i was just at the parts store and see the valvoline 75w90 syn oil tjat states its gl-4 compatable, any info on weather this will work in a nv4500

It appears that the Valvoline 75w-90 is a GL-5. I have personal experience running "GL-4 compatible" GL-5 oils and wouldn't advise it. 

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

1 hour ago, stevens cummins said:

Is this a gl-4 oil

No, Mobil SAE 50 is not a GL-4 fluid. It's a MT-1 fluid. MT-1 is a HD non-synchronized fluid specification. Mobil does state it can be used for GL-1 thru GL-4 but it doesn't meet those specs close enough to carry the designation. Who cares if the big trucks use it... they run different transmissions with different synchro's, bearings, and gears. 

The other fluid that Michael listed, Valvoline Drive Train 50, is also not a GL-4. It's a TO-4 which is an offroad drivetrain fluid that doesn't appear to even belong in a thread about truck transmissions. Michael is openly anti Amsoil, thou I've never heard a good reason, and would rather run a fluid not spec'd for his transmission than run Amsoil. 

I highly recommend the Amsoil MTG 75w-90 GL-4 synthetic trans fluid. IIRC it's cheaper than the Mobil SAE 50 and the proper specification for the transmission. It meets/exceeds GL-4 and Chrysler MS-9070 specs.

If you want a quote on it then shoot me a PM. 

• Like 2

I run 3 extra qt in my 56 but I also have a cooler on one side and filter on the other. 45 should be ok at full (coming out of hole) mark, but shouldn't hurt anything to run extra qt just make sure vent is not plugged. I know my 56 is so large inside, that before I put cooler and filter on it I ran qt and half extra, and when putting it in through shifter hole level barely came up, maybe a quarter of an inch.

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Owner

Well as I cross nearly 50k miles I can say that Mobil is a good fluid to use even though all the scare about specs and blah blah blah... Mobil is a GL-4 fluid which is clearly marked in the spec yes its ALSO MT-1 as well so it can be used for BOTH applications without problems. My fluid is still clean and clear in color and no issue with syncros which is the whole issue with the fluid scare. So no syncro issues as of yet. Being I'm driving over 250 miles every other day and driving in 100-110*F temps no issues. I've checked my fluid about once a month still going strong. I'll be checking soon again for my 50k mark which is only 3k away. I'm going to stand my ground and say its a safe fluid for NV4500 transmission as of so far. :thumb1:

• Staff
7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Mobil is a GL-4 fluid which is clearly marked in the spec yes 

NO it's not!! Re-read the specs, as we have been telling you for a LONG time now. 

It says it is suitable for GL-1 thru GL-4 applications, but it does not MEET those specs. Suitable does not mean it meets them. 

I'm glad it's working well for you, but you should really post accurate information about the specs. It looks like crap when the site owner can't even put out accurate information and is unwilling to educate himself. 

As you can see in the photo below GL-4 isn't listed under specifications and approvals. 

Capture.JPG

7 hours ago, Greezychicken said:

My truck has had nothing but Redline mt 90 in it since the first oil change, trans still shifts great at 250k on it. Also, Penzoil synchro-mesh oil is exactly the same oil as the oem, that's who made it for them.

MT 90 is another great GL-4 fluid. 

Synchromesh is NOT a GL-4 fluid and is spec'd for the NV5600. Using synchromesh in a NV4500 will damage the synchros, just like using a GL-4 in a NV5600

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

https://mobildelvac.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluids/mobil-delvac-1-transmission-fluid-50

ExxonMobil for use in transmissions and gear cases where API Service GL-1 through GL-4 (non-EP) gear protection is required.

Mobil Delvac 1 Transmission Fluid 50 is recommended for use in:

• Heavy-duty manual transmissions where extended service intervals and warranties are required
  • Commercial line haul, vocational, off-road, pick-up and delivery, and bus applications
  • Rear axles as a companion with Mobil Delvac 1™ Gear Oil for maximum component life, service efficiency and fuel economy improvement
Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

https://mobildelvac.com/en/automatic-transmission-fluids/mobil-delvac-1-transmission-fluid-50

ExxonMobil for use in transmissions and gear cases where API Service GL-1 through GL-4 (non-EP) gear protection is required.

Mobil Delvac 1 Transmission Fluid 50 is recommended for use in:

• Heavy-duty manual transmissions where extended service intervals and warranties are required
  • Commercial line haul, vocational, off-road, pick-up and delivery, and bus applications
  • Rear axles as a companion with Mobil Delvac 1™ Gear Oil for maximum component life, service efficiency and fuel economy improvement

That's not even the fluid you use!!!

Second, open the product page and look under specifications. Guess what, GL-4 is MIA. 

Third, you should post the whole sentence.... "Mobil Delvac 1 Transmission Fluid 50 meets or exceeds the requirements of the API service MT-1 classification and is recommended by ExxonMobil for use in transmissions and gear cases where API Service GL-1 through GL-4 (non-EP) gear protection is required."

As I have said for over a year to you now, just because it says it's recommended doesn't mean it meets those specs. It also says non-EP which is extreme pressure. I am not putting a non-EP gear oil in my trans..... The fluid you bought doesn't have the non-EP blurb luckily. 

Lastly... here is the page for the fluid you bought 5 gallons of. 

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-delvac-synthetic-transmission-fluid-50

Yes it's splitting hairs, but it doesn't meet the specs you claim it does. It may provide you with a great service life out of your NV4500 but that doesn't change the fact that it's a fluid that doesn't carry the API GL-4 spec that the NV4500 calls for. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

All I'm going to say is there is no issues with my transmission and working just fine. All the specs and stuff is just muddying the water Mobil is a GL-4 fluid and is not causing harm period. Syncro are not falling apart. My bearing are not grinding away.  

The requirements for the NV4500 is a Synthetic GL-4 fluid 75w-85

16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All I'm going to say is there is no issues with my transmission and working just fine. All the specs and stuff is just muddying the water Mobil is a GL-4 fluid and is not causing harm period. Syncro are not falling apart. My bearing are not grinding away.  

The requirements for the NV4500 is a Synthetic GL-4 fluid 75w-85

Mike, I'm going to approach this impartially.

The oil you are using does not meet the API GL-4 spec. That is a fact.

Now, does it work well for you? It appears that way, and that's great! I don't disagree!

If you want to recommend it, I think that's fine; You really need to make sure you have the facts of the oil straight though. There's plenty of misinformation on the web already, and I'd like to think this is a site that does a good job squashing misinformation.

These are the hard facts of the oil. (Screenshot from the manufacturer)

MD_50_Spec.PNG.c27025d70e952dda80b4ce30bf009c71.PNG

• Like 1