• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

03-07 Transfer case support bracket.

They do have a larger heavier drivetrain overall as well as a stouter frame versus the 2nd gens. My 05 shot box and my 02 long box scaled up very close to the same weight set up very similar. The 05 was a bit heavier by a couple hundred lbs if I recall.

Edited by Wild and Free

In the description it says nothing about the tranny cracking. I am not sure mounting it to the light skidplate mount is a good idea. My skid plate mount bracket is bent up quite a bit so that would not do good things for the housings either or the entire drive line angle all the way to the engine fan. I think it would be ok if it came with a more stout mounting place.

Description

4WD transfer case housings on 2003 to 2007 trucks with 48RE transmissions often crack and this is typically due to the lack of support of the heavy 80 lb. transfer case. This kit has been designed to solve this problem and is easy to install. 

Edited by Wild and Free

2 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

In the description it says nothing about the tranny cracking. I am not sure mounting it to the light skidplate mount is a good idea. My skid plate mount bracket is bent up quite a bit so that would not do good things for the housings either or the entire drive line angle all the way to the engine fan. I think it would be ok if it came with a more stout mounting place.

Description

4WD transfer case housings on 2003 to 2007 trucks with 48RE transmissions often crack and this is typically due to the lack of support of the heavy 80 lb. transfer case. This kit has been designed to solve this problem and is easy to install. 

Weird - if that was the issue, you'd then they would need it on all trucks. The description seems inaccurate.

I thought about putting one on mine, but like you said the flimsy skid plate doesn't seem like the best place to mount it.

OK Tyler I crawled under mine to check it out closer and you would be correct, it would be more likely to break the mounting ears off the rear of trans than anything on the t-case breaking. Full weight of the t-case and both drive lines hang off 6 studs. The cross member that the brace would mount to is the heavier one of the two so that wouldn't be an issue after looking at how the skid plate is mounted.

All in all wouldn't be a bad upgrade just for piece of mind especially if one is running in rough conditions a lot.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I think skid plate would be fine, it's added support, not the main one. 

I would be more scared of the skid plate getting bent up and cracking the housing. I'm not sure how it mounts on a 3rd gen so I can't say for sure though. I'll have to grab a picture of how my NP271 sits

Looked it over closer and it does definitely mount to the skid plate itself. Took some pics you can see there are only 4 studs mounting t-case to trans and you can see where it could break the ears off. The mount you see is under the rear of the tranny.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

21 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Looked it over closer and it does definitely mount to the skid plate itself. Took some pics you can see there are only 4 studs mounting t-case to trans and you can see where it could break the ears off. The mount you see is under the rear of the tranny.

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

There should be 6 bolts. I think there are 2 above where you can't see. Manual and auto are interchangeable (other then input shaft on T case) and mine had 6. If you plan on dragging your truck over stuff, I definitely wouldn't. If you don't off-road it hard it sure can't hurt!

Edited by TFaoro
  • Like 1

there is a bolt on the top, the 48're are known to crack the OD housing. this is designed to help eliminate that. but my early 04 with 250K still hasn't cracked, and it's worked wood cutting, towing, no jumping though.

• 1 month later...

They break the OD housing where it bolts to the main case, not back where the transfer case attaches. I see it probably 9 or 10 times a year. Matter of fact, I have one in the shop right now that I suspect of a cracked OD housing.

It happens on the 3rd Gens because of the much larger 271 transfer case hanging off of it. It won't happen under normal use, typically, but if you ever lose a u-joint or carrier bearing, it will shake the back of the transfer case hard enough that the OD housing will crack, break, or even break an attaching bolt or two in some cases.

I don't bother with that flimsy mount thing that someone came up with. I bought one once, but was quite unimpressed. I sent it back. Good u-joint maintenance is your friend...

On 7/27/2017 at 2:29 PM, Wild and Free said:

IMG_1155.JPG

IMG_1157.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1160.JPG

There are actually 6 studs holding the transfer case to the OD housing, but it won't break there. In fact most 3rd Gens have the transfer case corroded on there so badly, they can be quite difficult to separate. The break point is further forward, where the OD housing bolts to the case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1