• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

03-07 Transfer case support bracket.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, Dynamic said:

They break the OD housing where it bolts to the main case, not back where the transfer case attaches. I see it probably 9 or 10 times a year. Matter of fact, I have one in the shop right now that I suspect of a cracked OD housing.

It happens on the 3rd Gens because of the much larger 271 transfer case hanging off of it. It won't happen under normal use, typically, but if you ever lose a u-joint or carrier bearing, it will shake the back of the transfer case hard enough that the OD housing will crack, break, or even break an attaching bolt or two in some cases.

I don't bother with that flimsy mount thing that someone came up with. I bought one once, but was quite unimpressed. I sent it back. Good u-joint maintenance is your friend...

There are actually 6 studs holding the transfer case to the OD housing, but it won't break there. In fact most 3rd Gens have the transfer case corroded on there so badly, they can be quite difficult to separate. The break point is further forward, where the OD housing bolts to the case.

Dynamic is correct it is a pretty common issue with the 3rd gens. I had to replace my OD housing on my 48RE after a bad universal joint cracked it. I replaced the universal joints and everything was great until I laid into the throttle to change lanes and BOOM dropped the entire drive line from the tail of the OD housing back. Luckily no damage to the T-case, just had to do drive shaft universals again and replace the OD housing. I've thought about running one of these supports but as Dynamic said drive shaft universal maintenance is the best way to avoid this problem. I check mine every time I change my oil!

Edited by TooTallCTD
Spelling