• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

slipped my clutch.

• Staff
22 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Because it's much thicker gear lube compared to ATF that comes factory filled in the G56.

Yes it's thicker than ATF, but ATF is only the DC factory fill. The OEM (MB) spec is a GL-4 fluid. There are 4 primary recommendations which range from  SAE 50 to 80w gear lube, 75w-80 gear lube, or 75w-90 gear lube. So it shouldn't be too thick. 

The Delvac 50 just doesn't seem to work well with it, among others. 

ATF has similar viscosity to 80wt gear lube. 

Edited by AH64ID

• 4 weeks later...

i'm having a hard time deciding between the Valair dual disk quiet, and the SB John suggested.

does the old age get what you pay for apply here? i can get the dual disk for about 200$ more than the single. and i know i'll never need that kind of holding, but what if... i'd really really hate to get the SB and slip it,

my truck is "350" hp, so i could in theory run 75 hp tune.

I hate being OCD and having to make these decisions

• 3 weeks later...

so clutch has been installed for a little over 1200 miles, and i gotta say i hate it. the peddle resistance has subsided enough to where i can handle it, but i still cant get it into 1,2,R without going to 4,6 first, even then it's almost impossible, so i shut the truck off, shifts smooth as glass, start truck and drive. if moving it shifts good, Mind you i never had these issues before, i'm bout to put my old one back in as i cant swing another 1300$ another clutch.

needless to say i'm not happy, Emailed SB they say it sounds like a pressure plate issue, Trans shops tell me it's the pilot bearing dragging on the input shaft.

yeah i'm really miffed.

Edited by Killer223

I'm beyond OCD. Very detailed. I know better than to suck it together with bolts. 

It engages about 1/2-3/5 way up the stroke, so I know it's not a hydraulics issue. They are new as it is. Only thing I can think of is pilot bearing is dragging.. its new as well. 

IMG_7199.MOV

Hey Mike you do you feel like tackling this? i'll gladly drive up and turn wrenches with you.

• Staff

I've got a few engagement issues with my OF-E and I can tell you it's not a pilot bearing issue, as I'm on my 2nd without any change. 

I think it's a pressure plate issue on my OF-E and figured it was OF-E specific as the O-HD my dad has is like a hot knife thru butter. I hope I didn't lead you astray. 

Work with SBC, as I hear they are excellent to deal with on issues. It just sucks to have to R&R the trans for a clutch issue...... which is why I haven't done more to deal with my irregular engagement issues. I should have replaced the clutch when the motor was out, but I was spending too much as it was. 

No worries John, I've used SB for the better part of 25 years, and a few issues but nothing like this.

And if you search, it seams it happens a lot to the SB crowd. not so much the Valair, but still a few reports of it.

My email correspondence with SB has been they still think it's a pressure plate issue. I will give them a call Monday and see about getting a new one on the way.

i purchased the entire kit to try and not have these kind of issues. but well, those that know me call me Murphy, as his laws fallow me with a black cloud.