• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Morimoto HIDs Headlights in a 2nd Generation Dodge

• Owner

Made the phone call to PIAA and talked to a tech there about lighting. Very helpful and noted that for my back contry road conditions with rain and snow he suggested yellow ion driving lights. So looking at the inventory I've come up with either...

Yellow ion lights...

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/845-LP270-Ion-Yellow-2-75-LED-Driving-Light-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

or... Staying with white light...

http://www.piaa.com/RF3LED

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/648-LP270-2-75-LED-Driving-Light-Kit-SAE-Compliant.aspx

Has anyone used yellow lights before and how did they work for you?

• Owner

I'll most likely stick with white lights. piaa-02772-lp270-led-dual-hr.jpg?bw=1000

I know these will fit where the normal factory fog light typically is installed. I've been out measuring and seeing what I can make fit. 

piaa-02772-lp270-series-LED.jpg?bw=1000&

Time to say good bye to...

fog-lights.jpg.29b5619ed007cf0ad88bdd1a7

They worked good for all these years but time to upgrade to way better lighting. I have to say thank you to few people once again @Me78569 and @jlbayes for jumping into the HID lighting game to make me reconsider lighting. Now that I'm digging I'm finding better options and better quality lighting than most people are buying. Yeah I'll admit HID's are expensive to have them ready made for your truck but even the LED driving lights are expensive too but high-quality optics, polycarbonate lens, and reduced electrical load on the alternator it a win-win. 

I'm not seeing any end in sight for my travels. Till we find a dialysis nurse for Mom I'll continue to make my 250-mile trips to Ontario to keep her alive...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

I have ran Piaa 520's in ion yellow they are awesome in the snow/rain/fog. You do not get the blinding reflection back at you. They also illuminate highway signs and animal eyes at night better then white light. As far as LEDs I had a pair of 6" rigids and a pair of their yellow lens covers to snap on and off. The only downside to the LEDs was snow slush rain would freeze on them in the winter whereas the halogens had enough heat to keep the lenses melted. 

Edited by BBHD
  • Thanks 2

• Owner
On 10/13/2017 at 6:51 PM, BBHD said:

The only downside to the LEDs was snow slush rain would freeze on them in the winter whereas the halogens had enough heat to keep the lenses melted. 

Even my four 100w bulbs didn't have enough heat at near zero temperature to keep the snow and ice from freezing to the lenses this last winter.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

2 hours ago, trreed said:

I had that issue.  Had to switch pins around in the Morimoto harness to get it to agree with my truck.

Which pins? I tried reversing the pins in the "high beam" plug but it didn't make a difference.

@Mopar1973Man I've got right at $400 in my new lights including the housings. If the worst thing I have to figure out is why high beam/low beam is reversed then I'm a happy camper lol.

Honestly I don't remember which pins had to be switched.  What I did was pull all three pins out of the Morimoto harness and plug wires into the stock bulb connector until it did what I wanted and then put the contacts back in the Morimoto plug.  

Edit: Seeing that you have a 96 and I have an 01, I think the pinouts of the stock plug are different.  But, my R&R for finding the correct pin combo will still work.

Edited by trreed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Honestly I don't remember which pins had to be switched.  What I did was pull all three pins out of the Morimoto harness and plug wires into the stock bulb connector until it did what I wanted and then put the contacts back in the Morimoto plug.  

Edit: Seeing that you have a 96 and I have an 01, I think the pinouts of the stock plug are different.  But, my R&R for finding the correct pin combo will still work.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. It would make sense if the low beam and high beam pins were switched. I'll check it out in the morning, thanks!