• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Morimoto HIDs Headlights in a 2nd Generation Dodge

12 minutes ago, Explosives87 said:

Well nuts I am about 6 inch to short. Where has everyone mounted the controller for the harness? 

Mine are in the fender gap behind batteries, and yeah wire is not long enough to go on top of the radiator then, I pulled it between radiator and intercooler. 

The bulk of my light harness is mounted to the passenger side battery tray. I ran the harness underneath the fan shroud with just barely enough to reach the driver's side. It took a few tries to get the harness to fit without being stressed. 

1 minute ago, Explosives87 said:

I am going to try and be creative and see is I can make it work before I get a the harness extension from the retrofit source. 

What they have an extension, I'll have to look into it, then I'll probably run it on top of radiator. 

@Me78569 why do I always see a quote at the bottom of your post, is it something you did or is my phone tweaking out.

Screenshot_20180102-213326.png.3f0a7c0e03b2520b552ac22b057c98f6.png

5 hours ago, Me78569 said:

a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away Me78569 was still sane.  

We know you leave in your own world, I do too at times,  but it's okay they know us there.

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Correction...

Man why you put words in my mouth, haha just kidding. 

HIDs are a fun project, especially if you DIY. You can do cheap $20 mini H1s, decent $50 ones or super nice $125 Morimoto r7 H1s. If you want d2s you can get the same as morimoto from the manufacturer on AliExpress for $80 but they require a bit more work with our headlights, the bulb openings need to be enlarged. Great ballasts can be got from DLT, the Fast Brights are great and only about $40/pair just make sure you don't get knockoffs :) 4500k bulbs give the most light, anything over about 5500k/6000k gets real blue and is less light, and increases the chance you get pulled over. HIDplanet is a great resource for all kinds of DIY and custom/exotic installs. I saw a lawn mower there with a 35W HID projector :-)

On 10/12/2017 at 11:53 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I really could have used those PIAA lights tonight. Came home in a snowstorm and had to keep my low beam on. So between looking at the snow coming at you and limited field of light still my Morimotos were brighter than my old 100w aircraft light but still not a good field of light. I'm going to be making some phone calls in the morning to PIAA.

I know its old, but you can buy/make projector fog lights, they do very well. They are sealed units so no water can get in. There's also some good LED round fog lights that i hear do very well, morimoto sells them but if you look you can find some of the good ones on amazon/ebay as well.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Owner

Comparing my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with stock clear lens with halogens, then @Wet Vette has a 2018 Hyundai with halogen lights still and all the light pattern is fair. Great on the lane and the passenger side but limited to the driver side. Then the Dodge is fair as well but both vehicles are very narrow in light path. I can't see the off the shoulders very well in either vehicle. 

Just the halogen light being typically in the 800 lumen realm is rather weak in lighting. The whole catch is that lighting must be below 60 watts. Halogens basically run right up to that limit. Now with LED's and HID's making 3000 to 4000 lumens of light for mere 10 to 30 watts means legally you can upgrade but beam pattern has to be looked at and considered carefully with high lumens lighting. 

Way too many people use LED headlights and never readjust the headlights accordingly to the new pattern. For your safety and others safety you should check your aim and pattern every fall and adjust accordingly. 

• Like 1

I put the Hella's in my old housings and they did  help but oncoming lights seem to be my biggest problem. Get blinded and have to steer by the line on the side of the road if there is one. 2 weeks ago leaving the job in the rain and dark with stop sign coming. the approaching vehicle's lights were so bright that I ran the stop sign and almost caused a 3 car pile up. Caught it just in the nick of time and just avoided everyone. Not a pleasant experience especially since it would have been my fault, bright lights or not.

• Owner

Yup. I just did the adjustment on mine last month. I'm cut off very good below the everyone windshield. Like the Morimoto are 3,000 lumens but the pattern of light is on the dim side with the amount of spread your casting in light. Very wide pattern and mild brightness, mellow on the eyes. On high beam it will light a 50 foot tree no problem and light up both sides of the highway.

Now with the PIAA being 4,000 lumens and focus more so the road surface it makes a bright spot in the highway. This some times can be blinding myself being salt covered highways are a whitish color or snow covered highway can reflect most of the light back.

Again this comes back to how the reflector and lens set up is produced. This is why retrofitting LED's in a normal halogen headlight could be rather blinding being the reflector is not designed for the LED bulbs.