• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Morimoto HIDs Headlights in a 2nd Generation Dodge

• Owner

20170803_221641.jpgI hate to admit it... I spent 700 on a set of Morimoto D2S HIDs. All I can say is these are top notch headlights compared to the sport headlights I just replaced. Now I didnt have to do all the heating and removal of the lens. I found a site called http://shop.retroshop.us that sells complete HID solutions fully assembled. All you got to is install and wire it up. They are even aimed and pretested before shipping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

On my trip home last night I was highly impressed in the light pattern. Now I remember seeing that little step in @Me78569 photo in his article. That is neat how the pattern lines up perfect with the center line of the highway.

image.png

So the driver side of the beam is cut off just a bit early to prevent blinding on coming traffic. Then the passenger side is allowed to be stretched out a bit further. The Morimoto's happen to drown out my old school driving lights. You can barely see them any longer. 

I'm working at saving my pennies for the next step. I'm going to replace my old school 100 watt aircraft landing lights with a set of PIAA driving and fog lights. 

The only difference is I'm not using the Mini's that @Me78569 is using I'm using a bigger lens of the Morimoto D2S series. I'm also running 5,000k bulbs which are also 35 watts which are awesome. Matching ballast at 35 watts as well. Even on low beam the pattern is huge. You can see way more than any sport headlight conversion.  High beam is wicked and I can see signs and reflectors way out at a mile.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Here is a test pattern on my shop door. 

Low Beam

DSCF4243.JPG

High Beam

DSCF4244.JPG

Then The Morimoto D2S

DSCF4249.JPG

Now a post to say thank you to a few people... 

@Me78569 Thank you for pioneering the Morimoto's H1 Mini's for our trucks and producing the article. 

@Snow Dodge Thank you for letting me look at your truck and giving me the information for Retro Shop that does the fitment of the Morimoto HID in the style of headlight case you wish.

@moparmom for pushing me to get the HID lights. I had a hard time letting go of $700 bucks for headlights now I'm kicking myself in the tail for not doing sooner. The stress level of driving at night is much lower now. Feel more confident driving the dark canyon roads and can see deer way off the shoulder of the highway now. Really nice to be able to set the cruise and being able to see way down the road even with low beams. Being that every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night I'm rolling in the yard at 11 to midnight. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

Sure go figure now that I just got done spending way over 2 grand on head gasket and turbo, I now have to explain to my wife why I need to see where I'm going and that I'm running low on clear coat.

This is awesome setup, will be definitely on a shopping list, everyone that rides with me always asks if my lights are on.

I love the fact that you don't have to mess with lenses and this set up is using bigger projectors. 

What's the price difference buying what you got complete and doing what @Me78569 did. 

I'll need to get new housings ether way, I think I'm money ahead buying a complete set up, plus saved time.

• Owner
8 hours ago, Explosives87 said:

Looks good, how is the fit and finish compared to the stock housing?

Very nicely done. You can tell they have to grind away some of the lens covers to fit in the headlight case. You have to look really close to see the minor gap. Chrome on chrome makes it tough to see it.

8 hours ago, Explosives87 said:

Also what is the power level of those 4500,5000,6000k?

5000k bulbs at 35 watts.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

What's the price difference buying what you got complete and doing what @Me78569 did.

My total was $720 with 2-day priority freight.

26 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

The 24v....never an issue removing them lol.

The long mounting makes it impossible to tilt mine out. O just removed the 6 nuts on the main mounting slide the bumper out a bit and gain the needed room. 

Can you specify exactly what you ordered, like mini d2s, chrome or black, are they talking outside or inside, then paint option seems expensive you can get a can of good paint for less than $10, and halos is it something going around the light when it's not lit just for looks, trying to get an idea on looks vs price.