• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wanting 30-50 more HP

Hi newbie here I am just getting my first diesel pickup a 1999 Dodge 2500 SLT 5 spd which I will mostly use for towing a fifth wheel and would like to up the HP .Towing will include steep hills 5-10% grades 3500-9500 ft . I was thinking about better intake air flow and 4" exhaust and a exhaust brake . I see Van Aaken , Quadzilla XZT , smarty and Edge EZ listed most for chips/programmers . Can I just and a programmer for the extra 30-50 hp or do I have to add a exhaust elbow too . I have a Bully Dog boost gauge already and a EGT gauge that is not hooked up yet and was thinking of adding a fuel pressure gauge also.

• Owner

Personally... I would do...

• 4" Exhaust
  • BHAF
  • Quadzilla Adrenaline
  • RV275 injectors

As for the exhaust to this day, I'm still running 3" exhaust after 310k miles and never had a EGT's issues with all the stuff I tow. 4" will not drop EGT's very much if at all for typical highway driving.

BHAF is the best filter option we've got for these trucks way better than any washable filter on the market. Avoid the K&N, AFe, and S&B filters not worth it.

RV275 injectors I ran before and was capable of reaching 25-27 MPG.

The reason for the Quadzilla over any other module is not for the HP/TQ. It about the ability to directly control timing.

Capture+_2017-08-06-08-47-03.png

Quadzilla is the only solution that allows you to tune in real time. If you don't like your settings you can change your tune and bluetooth the changes to the Quadzilla instantly without the need of a PC like Smarty. The other factor is that Quadzilla gives you the ability to build fueling tables based on boost keeping the smoke at near zero amounts.

Capture+_2017-08-06-08-48-57.png

Edge EZ, Edge Comp, and Edge Juice all have the same problem with lack of timing control and require you to run the highest level for the most aggressive timing. Then have limited to zero control of fuel versus boost for controlling smoke. Smarty is the most expensive solution HP per dollar. I'm not exactly impressed with Smarty being that its only a 60 HP tuner but at the price of $865. That is $14.41 per horsepower. Quadzilla Adrenaline $743 but you are getting 3 times the horsepower at the price $4.13 per horsepower. Quadzilla is a way easier solution for newbies for tuning and can be done without a PC or laptop where Smarty does require Windows PC for all programming. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Staff
4 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

BHAF-big honkin air filter

Edge EZ

4" exhaust would be nice but not necessary

Then some Bosch RV275 injectors

This is what I have since 2005 with the boost elbow that comes with the Edge EZ less the RV275 injectors which I'll install  when the original injectors go bad.  You will most definitely will want to install the boost elbow to increase boost from stock ~18 PSI to ~28 PSI.  

The Edge EZ is $430 or $6.62/HP and I have a 6637 NAPA Gold air filter (BHAF) @ $39.48 from Amazon.  

With this set up I go up 6% + grades that are at 7k to 8k at 55 MPH with no problems.  I just set the cruse control and go.

598743e57589d_BridgeportOct6-142006195.jpg.26bd7b5a9d57193d02dd8a8ef0a89037.jpg

This is what I tow but I now have a 14' boat.  I'm towing about 9k pounds.

IMG_5131.JPG.f2f33bb0a7a33f3ae2ccf797eb60c323.JPG

11" BHAF

• Thanks 1

Can you use a exhaust brake with the exhaust elbow ? Xtremdiesel power has the Quadzilla ADR 1000 Adenaline with control pod for $594.99 and the iQuad module is $194.99 if it is needed , a Scan Guage II may work as a monitor I not sure.

• Owner
6 hours ago, weaselguys said:

Can you use a exhaust brake with the exhaust elbow ?

Yes. I've been running exhaust brake and 3 inch exhaust nearly the full life of my truck. 

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Look at DAP (Diesel Auto Power) for the quad.  And you want the iquad

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Finally got my truck today and off to get tires in the am getting 265"s since it feels pretty low geared, I saw today it has a Fass DDRP on it found a new bug screen and winter front under the back seat . So should I add the exhaust elbow first or the quadzilla ?

Ok quadzilla first then , I would have responded sooner guys but yesterday the reply window wasn't coming up for me no matter what I did. I was just quoted $1361 for a exhaust brake but he didn't say what type or if it included install I may do that first and then the quadzilla .

I like the ones that mount to the backside of a turbo, less chance for exhaust leaks and less space to fill for the back pressure to build. But it will limit you on turbo upgrades later, that's why I just had one built for mine that still uses 3 inch flange with bigger guts inside,  so far I like it. My exhaust brake is BD  and works pretty good, can't speak for others. 

On tire size, if you have 410s I would run at least 285/70/17 if you have 17 inch wheels, or something similar for 16 inch.  that's what I have with 3.55, but that's just my personal preference, you'll get mixed reviews on this. 

I would Avoid the BHAF as most are primary filters and dont pull as much dust or particulate out of the air, If you go that route make sure the application it came from doesnt use a secondary filter or that isnt listed as a primary filter. The elbow is nice but like stated above Id spend the money on an adrenaline before an exhaust.

Edited by syndicateshop
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Never heard of such...

Donaldson even specifically lists appropriate filters, the majority of large filters are a single stage of a multi part filter setup,

Cross reference and of the common BHAF numbers at Donaldson website. You'll actually be surprised how low the airflow actually is.

Screenshot_20170810-172640.png

Screenshot_20170810-172633.png

There has actually been a growing market for the fine foam prewrap socks to go over the BHAF filters due to the filter being a primary rather than a full filter.

I ran mine for just over a year  with the stock box and filter. Put a K&N in the stock box and it stayed there for the next 8 years. Joined here and read up on the K&N and the BHAF and decided to change. I based that on the info I saw at the time that the BHAF filtered and flowed better than the stock filter and box. So the BHAF has been in the truck for the past 7 years. The only trouble I ever had with any of them was the front diff vented gear oil on the BHAF outer wear and clogged it good. Took it of and never put it back. That was probably 5 or 6 years ago. After all that I dont see a change in my near future unless I see something on engine failures due to the filter. 

Not trying to argue over it, just my opinion.

• Like 2