• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wanting 30-50 more HP

Dieselfuture I found the tag in my glove compartment showing my gearing as 3:55 so I put on 265/70r16 tires , according to my mgh gauge I am only getting 15.8 mpg and with the speedo showing 60mph with the currant tire at between 1900-2000 rpms ,I wish I had gone to larger tires. I  am installing a Ultra guage soon and see what it has to say, I cannot decide on air filtration yet , I do run a k&N and a Outersware prefilter on my jeep and I trust it , but I understand the possibility of dust and oil getting into the turbo so I wont do it on the cummins beoynd that I may try the BHAF wit a prefilter but water splash is a concern for me as I know I will make creek crossings in this truck.

• Owner
2 minutes ago, weaselguys said:

I wish I had gone to larger tires

Stock is 265/75 R16 typically. The other that is little bigger is the 235/85 R16 (1mm taller but 1.1 inches narrower).

Highly suggest a BHAF over any other washable filter. I've seen way too many failed engines and turbos to K&N, S&B, AFe, etc. Just not a good idea to use a washable filter in the back country dust and dirt. Splash problems I've never had an issue with it being I run flood highway, creek crossing, deep snow, etc. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 11:13 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Stock is 265/75 R16 typically. The other that is little bigger is the 235/85 R16 (1mm taller but 1.1 inches narrower).

Highly suggest a BHAF over any other washable filter. I've seen way too many failed engines and turbos to K&N, S&B, AFe, etc. Just not a good idea to use a washable filter in the back country dust and dirt. Splash problems I've never had an issue with it being I run flood highway, creek crossing, deep snow, etc. 

Are you running the BHAF alone or with a pre-filter?

• Owner
19 minutes ago, leon said:

Are you running the BHAF alone or with a pre-filter?

No prefilter. Yes, I run dirt roads too. My problem is the prefilter ends up with holes and no longer a filter because of where the BHAF rides in the heat shield. I had an Outerwears prefilter it barely lasted one year and was falling apart. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No prefilter. Yes, I run dirt roads too. My problem is the prefilter ends up with holes and no longer a filter because of where the BHAF rides in the heat shield. I had an Outerwears prefilter it barely lasted one year and was falling apart. 

Stop being so rough on things Mike!! :lmao:

• 1 month later...

I have run my truck for a little while now and it needs help when pulling the hills with my trailer a 6% hill with a straight shot it will pull well if I push it hard at the bottom but curvy roads with slow corners and I end up staying in 3rd not enough power to go to 4th. I am looking at a edge EZ and a Quadzilla XZT right now , the cost is good and they are basically plug & pray no messing with tuning I'm just not that up on diesels yet. For the XZT I was thinking the XZT+1008 tune or XZT+1011 for the high idle in cold weather and then I will add a BHAF and 50hp injectors if needed . Which chip would you suggest ?

My truck has about 130k on it.  It had over size tires on it till about 125k on it.  The steering has had parts replaced on it 2 times.  Upper and lower ball joints both sides.  It is a automatic trans.  Between 35mph and 40 it was always jumping in and out of overdrive.  It seemed like it was always hunting for the right gear when slowing and then excellerating.  I have never towed  anything just haul heavy stuff from time to time.  I never saw anything better 16mpg.  I went back to the stock tire size about 5k ago.  With no other changes my truck the shifting problems are gone.  My mpg has gone up to 18.5.  My truck excellurates faster, gets better mpg, steers better, and has much better ride.  I see no gain in having larger tires other then a stiffer ride, more expence.  When you change tires size.  You mess with the gearing tomuch.  A larger heaver tire is harder to rotate hence loosing power.  Just my 2cents on larger tires.  Sorry for the bad grammer

Edited by william keagle
  • Like 1

Ok I ordered the quadzilla XZT and now I'm looking at a fuel pressure gauge I'm thinking a ISSPRO electrical 40psi unit , I know mechanical is best but also harder to hook up. I already have a double pillar pod and will have to put the fuel psi gauge elsewhere. I saw on the cummins forum that mopar1973man had a article on fuel gauges but could find it.