• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it a vp44 issue or an injector issue?

Hi everyone I'm trying to sort out an fueling issue that is making me too scared to drive :(

I put a nice fresh engine in my "00 and I'm getting a pile of white smoke at idle and 1/4 throttle. It also sounds as if I have air in the injector lines at idle. 

The vp44 is one off my old engine with a p0216 code so I'm wondering if it's an injector that is damaged or if the vp is having problems fueling 150hp sticks?

I'm new to the Moparman site but I'm very impressed by this community thanks for the info and your time!

10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would say the VP44 is shot being the P0216 code is present. Most of the VP44's tend to get stuck in full retard timing and produce excessive white smoke.

That's where I was leaning as well. I had reservations because the pump  ran just fine when I pulled it. However it has had that code since last November. I had some heart starts this winter but I ignored it lol. 

Thank you for the reply

So the ecm sends a fueling and timing command to the vp44.  The vp44 then does what it can and sends a response back to the ecm stating " I did this timing and this fueling"

If the timing command sent does not match the timing command actually done then you get a p0216 code.  

I would wager a bet that your pump has been on the way out for awhile now.  p0216 can't be related to an injector issue as far as I know.

• Staff

I ran with the 0216 error code for quite a few years with the truck running smooth. It eventually leaves you stranded not knowing when/ where, So as soon as I got hard starts the VP was replaced

I think the two stroke is a testament to able running longer on the 216 code.

Edited by JAG1

23 hours ago, Me78569 said:

23 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I ran with the 0216 error code for quite a few years with the truck running smooth. It eventually leaves you stranded not knowing when/ where, So as soon as I got hard starts the VP was replaced

I think the two stroke is a testament to able running longer on the 216 code.

JAG1 it has been on the way out I had hard starts all winter unless I plugged it it lol. I talked to Jamie at cpp diesel and I'm ordering a new one this weekend 

thank you you all for confirming my suspicion before I dropped 1k 

2 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Yes HUGE issues with the shady pos. Do not trust ANYTHING that comes out of that mans mouth. I am less than impressed with anything Thoroughbred diesel as well.

Okay but I still need to buy parts from somewhere so where do I go? Your not giving me any options here lol

Thoroughbred is fine for turbos. Injectors are based on how much you want to spend. I have options from affordable to high end. Most parts are map priced now are map priced. Find someone you like besides CPP. A set of 7x.010s would work well with that charger. Turbines a bit old but works well. A 65mm or 68mm would be a better fit for most dd stuff. Even towing.