• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

95 12 valve busted gear case

So, buddy of mine that I work with got a 95, 4x4, auto supposedly built for pulling trailers , 220k 8' box, regular cab. Title says gas, also brake booster doesn't seem to be hydraulic like on mine, it's round like on a gas truck but no vacume lines going to it or place for it. Anyhow it was leaking oil out front someplace and guy that was selling it just got it and decided to sell it, so it's a cat in a bag. I looked at it with him and gave him my :2cents:. For $2900 it seemed like it was fixable and drove ok accept it seems to shift to od too soon and when flored doesn't kick down and seems to be hunting lock unlock. Front cover was soaked and dirty, seller said it was front seal or so he was told that by po. I said right of way that it seems like oil is coming from top someplace but who knows could be flinging of the crank upwards. Now that he's working on it he found this, see picture. His question, how much is he looking at to fix crap inside assuming worst case scenario. I'll update pictures as he sends them to me. Trying to get him to join this site, but I think he's already thinking of selling it. 598df29c9c27c_2017-08-1113_06_55.jpg.3b9cc2599ad9ef1cec42b43862c670bc.jpg

Edit: all gears seem fine, pin is missing, in the oil pan I guess. How important is it to put new pin in, it it only for assembly and now that the case is in place it will be fine or? On the case it self  I'm thinking jb weld? He feels better now that the gears look good. 598df7de3ad62_2017-08-1113_26_40.jpg.27d55b724762c96713563a67af4775c7.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture

• Staff

You don't need another KDP pin and the trans Hunts over the gears usually because of A/C voltage noise from an alternator going bad. Do search on this site to understand excessive AC voltage and how to test for it

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Cowboy, There must be something I don't understand... how is it that he should get a new pin when only the factory uses it during assembly? Are you saying he needs it to help line up the gears and afterward he should tab the KDP?

I just don't understand.. are you saying line up the gears for timing to each other? I thought they had marks to go by.

Thanks in advance.

These diesels can rattle a house down.  The pins job is to keep the timing case 'centered' on the block, due to the injection pump and vacuum pump being bolted to the case, if it shifts, the gears will no longer be in alignment with the cam gear which drives them.  Because of all the weight hanging off the case with a 50lb injection pump and the engine vibration, it's not unlikely.   The handful of bolts holding the timing case to the block are also known for backing off due to engine vibration.  So it's a good idea to take them out one by one and red locktite them.

• Like 4

He's getting a pin and too cheap to get a case, he got it jb welded and feels pretty confident in his job, time will tell. Also putting in a new seal, any tips for him on doing seal, post something here. He has a link to this thread and been checking it. He also says thanks for the help. 

@jlbayes what fuel pressure should he be seeing to p7100, all stock at the moment, but he's been reading things about boost elbows and fuel plates.

Edited by Dieselfuture

" ...he got it jb welded and feels pretty confident in his job..."

Sorry, but did anyone else spew coffee all over their monitor?

Couldn't help it....  it just slipped out.

Tell him that made my day!!! hope it lasts forever!!

Hag

Edited by Haggar
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well seems like his jb weld been holding up and no leaks there for now. Looks like his vacuum pump needs to be rebuild dripping oil a little. 

On his tranny measured vac and it's 0.15 at idle so it's a fail. We took fuse out and lock up didn't seem to work at all when going about 60-65 and applying brake. And his tranny just seem to shift up too soon, guessing kick down cable needs adjusted. 

• Like 1

Little update not related to gear case but don't want to start a new thread. He's been hunting for tranny problems and found that brake switch is bad along with wireing and maybe headlight switch also. Still need to address his alternator but I guess this is a common problem. Do they sell brake switch wireing harness 

Here it is

59a6b3da9e520_2017-08-3007_45_29.jpg.67696bcf9c31bceace04e90e8ab4384d.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture