• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

VP44 PSG5 limitations read/write

Nick were you seeing the same amount of psi drop in your setup? From what I understand the Airdog and FASS pumps are basically identical (with slight differences) as they started as a family company then split. 

If I were you @rogerash0 I'd trying checking the pressure from somewhere else with a different gauge. I know I'm theory the pressure where you're reading it should/will read the same as it would 6ft down the line towards the VP44, but I think that's the absolute last thing you can do besides a different pump all together. I just can't believe that you're loosing that much psi with everything you've done to the plumbing. 

I was seeing 16+ psi pressure swings between idle and WOT.  I did everything suggested, replaced lines etc and never fixed it until I got the new pump.

Airdog and fass used to be the same pump, then airdog changed their manufactures and design after pureflow sold the rights to produce the pump.  

When they did that the airdog pumps went to crap.

Can you fill us in on what pump is the good'n? Something I could ideally buy and drop on top. Very fustraiting to spend that money and have a junk product..... seems like this industry is absolutely rife with em.

No limit, I had the digital gauge right before VP, the other one at the airdog.. plus I think hydraulics 101 says it will have the same pressure on both ends of the hose. but its been a long time...

I suppose, especially with my small injectors right now, I should be able to put the original pump on that never dropped in pressure, and see what happens. If the pump design is what went down the $1tt3r, then it should show. I could log current drops in pressure with tuner on 1, 3, 5, & 7; with each pump. Nominal & WOT.

mechanical pump honestly.   or aero I think, but I have not done much looking as of late.  My pureflow fp-125 is treating me well, but No one else has one in the dodge light duty world so I can't speak to how well it works overall.  

@Me78569 that's crazy, never knew that about those pumps.

@rogerash0 if you want a 'drop in' I think the closest you'll get is a FASS. It should be pretty close, I think the only things you'd need to swap would be the harness and possibly some of the fittings going into the pump itself.

As as far as pressures I agree 100% that pressure should be the same where you're getting it as it would be closer, just was another option, but sounds like this may just be these pumps downside. I've had zero issues with my FASS. 

the pump has no fittings, its got two o-rings and a flush bottom that falls onto the base. Oh, and two locating dowels.

Can I get any educated and uneducated opinions on my VP holding say 30psi at idle forever more w/o seal failure, if its held 40psi in the past for perhaps 4-5 hours of operation?

Edited by rogerash0

54 minutes ago, rogerash0 said:

plus I think hydraulics 101 says it will have the same pressure on both ends of the hose.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I think pressure will be the same on both ends of a hose with zero flow. With flow, you will see a drop in pressure on the downstream side of the hose. The severity of the drop totally depends on flow restriction of the hose, and amount of flow. Greater flow will yield a greater drop in pressure. Greater flow resistance will also yield a drop in pressure.

Similar to electricity. Flow = Current and Pressure = Voltage. Same principle.

Edited by kzimmer
Type-o and stuff.

Yeah sorry, I didnt know how to write that without it coming off as d!ck. I agree /w the jist of what your saying, and understand that velocity increases as diameter decreases and so on.

Also I searched  pureflow fp-125 and just came back with that as being a standard AD lift pump?

Edited by rogerash0

I am so glad I do not have one of these pumps any longer. It irks the hell out of me so many have issues with airdog and fass. Fass would be the closest drop in. Fuel lab has an option but the controller does not always play nice with the Dodge ecm. Aeromotive has a system as well but it is way way over priced for what it is. Then we get into mechanical belt driven or designing your own.

Gone did it boys, got a quadzilla coming. Hope the v2 adr1000 loaded tunes are OK. Hope I dont encounter any crazy surprises with it, like a locked number of updates or something silly. The DDP120's sold. XDP was out of stock until Thursday, so I called up DAP for the first time ever & they price matched XDP /w the discount and its shipping out of Utah so I should have it by Thursday he said. I wont lie, I dont trust em as a company. I saw Tfaoro praising them a lot on CF, but if Im not mistaken things eventually took a turn for the worse?

I went to put the AD100 motor on, the old school motor that it is, it came on my truck when I bought it, but the W/S will have to come off, and I had just filled up my gas tank, and I have a sump, so it looks like that will have to wait until I am low on gas so I dont get covered in diesel. Its been one too many times that I've had a diesel or ATF bath to want to do it again.

Tried having a small talk with Weston & Hailey about injectors, if they had any ready to go at short notice. Didnt get anywhere with either of them. I need to get them on the phone, but it seems like everyone is so busy these days and doesnt have time for the phone. Weston told me he has micro-blind sac & more, I told him its not my area of expertise, I dont know what the differences are (after initially laying down my setup and application hoping he would just tell me what is best) and I never heard back after that. Same /w Hailey on FB quite really. Im trying to have the shortest conversation possible, quick to the point, buy the stuff, ship it out before I leave, but I guess that wasnt fate. So now I have the quad first, rather.

I figured if I was going to Firepunk and D&J I may as well have the truck /w the big injectors I'll be running, because with the DDP120's the white smoke it was blowing was ridiculous. It was coming in the passenger window when I was at a stop light /w a warm engine. Its not bad with the 50HP sticks, but Im afraid I'll put in the bigger injectors and the white smoke that I attribute to leaking valve seals will be rediculous with large injectors, as it was prior. Time will tell.

Im sure I can sell my edge juice comp for the price of injectors. Everyone on JL's 2nd Gen FB group seems to be mentioning them as of late. Or a number of people anyways..

Edited by rogerash0