• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How Hot are Your Hydroboost Lines?

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

You've got a restriction somewhere. If it was me I would just put $30 in a seal kit pull the steering box apart and rebuild it and find the restriction than messing with a redhead or blue top box. I can rebuild that sagnaw in my sleep its so easy. 

Yes, I'm sure it's when the hydroboost started acting weird. It probably sent something downstream to the box. I'll look at rebuilding it, but it is getting up there in mileage. Might be best to get all new bearings and everything in it.

• Owner

Not much in a sagnaw steering box.

image.png

There are only 3 bearings in a sagnaw. 1 bearing on the output shaft and 2 bearings at the base of the input and the cap. Rest is all harden parts and seals that wear out. The biggest problem is the amount of sludge that will be in the box The small orifices that are part of the power valve assembly will be where the problem will be is the valve gets gummed up with sludge. 

image.png

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I think because Mike always staying on top of fluids that's why his still on a lot of original stuff. Part of reason I started to try and stay ahead of game and also listened other peoples advice here and put an inline filter for power steering fluid.  And something I never considered changing before like brake fluid till parts are changed and I got to bleed the system anyways, now I'm keeping an eye on things and change when I feel needed.

• Thanks 1

• Owner

Inline filter will do nothing for the suldge issue your still going to have to flush the system every 30k miles. That is majority of the issue tbe fluid breaks down and suldges up just like engine oil. No filter will fix that issue.

Still running on monthly inspections and changing fluids when they discolor or mileage exceeded.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

Well I might be joining you all on the hydroboost rebuild, I pulled into a campground north of Denver yesterday after a 450 mile pull with the 5ver, I noticed my frame behind front wheel soaked with oil. Looks like it's PS fluid, and comming from around the hydroboost 

I guess I know what I'm doing when I get home.. 

On 8/18/2017 at 8:51 PM, dripley said:

What is the the tool leaning up on the steering box?

Spanner wrench.  In the pic there are bearing retainer/pre-load nuts with holes on the face.  The dowels on the wrench go in the holes to tighten or loosen the nut.

• 6 months later...