• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

White Smoke after injector install

Well thinking my VP44 died during injector install.

Background;

Truck 2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 with 302K miles, DS Power puck, and FASS DDRP-02 that delivers 17.5 psi at idle and 15 psi at WOT.

I replaced my tappet cover gasket about two months ago and needed to remove the VP44 at the time, looked at the data plate, and thought I took a picture of it, but didn't. It looked to be the original VP44, didn't notice and rebuild information. Restart went as expected bleed the system, cranked several time fired and ran fine.

Then about a couple weeks ago, I decided to install a set of Bosch RV275 injectors. Install went as expected, torqued hold down bolts to 89 in #s, and injector tubes to 27 ft. #s. Restart was more difficult than before. Once started lots of white smoke and rough running. *&(%&(*$*^%#%!

So I replaced the stock injectors, thinking bad new injector, same results. Truck is not where I am currently at so, called it a day. about a week later, I put back the RV275's being extra careful, and same white smoke.

One thing I noticed this time was prior to attempting restart, I pressurized the fuel system ahead of the VP44 by bumping the starter. This is with injector lines 1,3,& 4 loose, at that point I had fuel at those ports, I didn't think the 17.5 psi that my FASS lift pump provided would push fuel through the VP44 to the injectors.

Thanks for input

The lift can push fuel past the VP. I have done on mine more than once and still have the same pump. I dont however believe it should be able to feed more than one injector maybe two depending where the VP stopped rotating. Not sure how many it could push the fuel to. It does sound like the VP is bad, have you checked for any codes?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Did you tighten the injectors first or the crossovers? Crossover first then the injectors is the proper order. Lots of people do it backwards creating a high pressure leak because the crossover tube cant seat right if the injector is already locked in place.

Your write up says 89in lbs for the hold down, then insert cross over tube. So does the service manual

I always thought hold down for injectors were pretty dead on not much room for wiggle and it keeps them lined up. But I do know it works different for some. In my opinion it's the injector line to cross over tube is where most expirience the leak, over killing it and damaging contact sufface and dirt maybe. I did hear of some injectors having scratches where tube contact. :shrug:

But then again why are you seeing fuel from 3 injector lines without vp rotating. If vp truly has 300k on it I'd say just change it out anyway dought there are many miles left on it.

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

Your write up says 89in lbs for the hold down, then insert cross over tube. So does the service manual

When I did my first set I did it this way and had 3 leaks I could not stop. They finally stopped after I took the hold downs and fuel lines loose and snugged up the the fuel to the cross over tube. I then tightened the injectors. No more leaks and have had none since when changing injectors. Just my experience.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I always thought hold down for injectors were pretty dead on not much room for wiggle and it keeps them lined up. But I do know it works different for some. In my opinion it's the injector line to cross over tube is where most expirience the leak, over killing it and damaging contact sufface and dirt maybe. I did hear of some injectors having scratches where tube contact. :shrug:

But then again why are you seeing fuel from 3 injector lines without vp rotating. If vp truly has 300k on it I'd say just change it out anyway dought there are many miles left on it.

If they do leak at the tube and the injector the fuel will get by the oring and leak at the nut. The nut does not actually seal to any thing. It just holds pressure on the fuel line to the connector tube to seal them. 

I guess if the pump failed you might get fuel out of 3 lines. I have had my lift pump get fuel by the vp on one line, but never three.

Edited by dripley

11 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

I was going by the service manual. I could remove the Valve cover loosen all six injector hold downs then re-torque to 89 in #s that should allow the crossover to re-seat.

It might be better to loosen the injector lines, then loosen the hold downs, tighten the injector lines snug, then torque hold downs. Then fully torque #2, #5 and #6 leaving 1, 3, and 4 loose to allow bleeding the air and get a start.

That said I am still worried about the VP44, letting fuel up lines 1, 3, and 4 from just Lift Pump pressure.

Multiple lines is the part I am not sure on. I know the lift will push fuel past the VP but whether it can get to multiple lines, I dont know. The time it happened to me I thought something on the back of the engine was leaking before I realized it was coming out of an injector line. Once I figured that out I never looked to see if it was coming out of more than one. 

Update, OFI rebuilt injection pump, still white smoke, but is getting better!

So needed to move trailer off street, just back into a space from street. now less white smoke. So quickly hooked up and got off street, once done very little white smoke at idle, some on giving some throttle. That was Friday night.

This morning tried again, started right up, some white smoke, lots if I gave it throttle. Then it warmed a bit, not enough to move the temp gauge total run time about two minutes.

No visible white smoke at idle, and smooth idle no white smoke and smooth up to about 1,500 to 1,700 rpm on easy throttle, then starts getting rough and lots of white smoke.

So is it a high pressure leak, or still air in some lines, starts right up no hesitation. I am concerned that EGT doesn't seem to drop below 400 degrees at idle.

I didn't have new copper washers, when I put the old original injectors back in.