• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

4 Inch Exhaust Needed!!!

• Owner

Well... On my way home tonight my exhaust system started to fall apart. I lost the section between the muffler and the U section over the axle. Time to give up on the old stock pipe and replace it completely. I need a 4 inch exhaust system that comes with a flow through muffler and straight pipe. I'm wanting something that is designed to combat road salt and rusting for a long time. Time to see what you all suggest for the exhaust system. At this point, my truck is parked and I'll be using the 96 Dodge Ram 1500 for the time being till I get the new exhaust or manage to make a turn down for my existing system.

So I need to get to work tomorrow on @IBMobile VP44 install.

I won't be much of a help since my 5-inch was on when I got the truck not even sure of a brand, but I'll put it in my :2cents:.  they do make stainless steel so I would say that's the way to go. I cleaned and painted my exhaust when I first got the truck and didn't even use high temp paint for exhaust  because it doesn't seem to last, I used high temp engine paint. It's been holding up pretty well, I did have to touch up downpipe a few times and random places but not much. Now if it rusts inside out that'd be a different story on the outside it still looks good.

I am running your favorite, Banks. It is stainless and is still function fine. I am happy with it. If you look at the stock exhaust, you have gotten 300k+ and 15 years out of it. That aint bad either. My Banks has 315k and 12 years on it. Not sure what i would put on when this wears out. A lot of good products out there. 

I have around 240k miles on my MagnaFlow Pro-Series.  PN 17924.  No issues with it.  Frequently get complements on the exhaust note without it being overbearing.  Only thing I would change are the exhaust clamps.  I'd spring for some of the longer 3" clamps.  Better seal and less deformation.  

I had a diamond eye on the ol 99 and it sounds great but does get some drone in the cab.

When I install a new exhaust on the 02, I'm going with a MBRP because the exhaust exit looks like it'll keep things pointed away from the truck more. I'll also be using their flow through muffler, unless it's too quiet then it'd be a resonator.

• Owner
6 minutes ago, CumminsTech said:

Kinda noisey but it's straight piped not bad but it's hard to be quite and sneak home late at night without waking anyone

@MoparMom is a bit on the deaf side... Might be a good thing she'll know I've gotten home. Also, the louder exhaust will make my presence known to wildlife on the highway. One of the reasons I'm leaning back to the straight pipe exhaust. Typically I'm not a city person so I'm not really worried about the noise outside the truck. Just drone and cab loudness. My old 3" was great straight piped and really got quiet with the 3" NAPA muffler which was nice but then again wildlife became more of an issue. 

@Taz has a 4" straight pipe exhaust with a 5" tip sounds good on the highway and in the cab, it's not bad at all. Deer and other animal tend to take notice of the sound of the truck more when it got a note that is loud enough. 

I'm out in the sticks so I don't really care about how loud it is was just saying the misses gets woke up every night when I get home from work(2nd shift) and she works first shift. Almost gotta coast up the drive. I like the sound not obnoxiously loud but it'll let everyone know it's coming.

I bought the 4" MBRP stainless turbo back with muffler from XDP.  Received with minor damage to one pipe section, emailed MBRP a pic of the damage and they shipped a new one.  Installation (Feb 2017) was a breeze using original brackets.  Very satisfied with MBRP quality and customer service.

• Staff

At 4,000 miles a month I am surprised you're thinking about a straight pipe!

My research led me to a Flo-Pro exhaust for when the time comes. I've heard nothing but good things from them and know a few shops that use them exclusively. 

I'll be trying to go even quieter on my next muffler.

• Owner

Even with it cut off under the cab right now straight piped and turned down is quiet while cruising. Yes you can hear the note rather well with the windows down and rolling the gear on a heavy foot. I've been driving on this now for 2 days not bad for shorty straight pipe. 

20170828_121813_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

My research led me to a Flo-Pro exhaust for when the time comes.

Enlighten me... I want to hear about your research on exhaust systems. I'm not getting much info other than just buy the cheapest thing out there... 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

My old 4" MBRP T409 stainless had good surface rust after only 2 New England winters. The T304 stainless tip was rust free, just grimey. I ran that straight piped for a month or two, set off every car alarm in the parking garage at school. Muffler is definitely needed in my opinion, even it's a straight through. T409 vs T304 price difference is like $400-500 vs over $700.

I had the 4inch strait pipe that ended just before the rear tire and the drone was so bad my wife and I could barely have a conversion on the hwy. Put two stright pipe mufflers on it (DONALDSON stainless steel) ran all the way to rear of tire and all good now.

• Staff
On 8/28/2017 at 0:20 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Enlighten me... I want to hear about your research on exhaust systems. I'm not getting much info other than just buy the cheapest thing out there... 

After talking to a few shops about what they install I heard Flo-Pro the most. It was based on price, figment, and ease of install. 

I won't be using their muffler thou, but rather a 5" Donaldson that I'll weld the 4" adapters too. I cannot find a 4" muffler with adequate flow and attenuation for the flow a 400 rwhp 5.9 can produce. The 4" moves more than enough air but the quiet mufflers create more nackpressure.