• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla customization

Scottfunk

I have been after the guys at Quadzilla Power to make a couple changes for me. I'm hoping that, with a little combined interest from the community here, maybe I can get these changes implemented. The changes I have requested are: 

Trans temp reading from the can bus so I can use the trans/oil temp sender that comes with the Quadzilla for my oil tempo and still be able to read trans temp at the same time;

The ability to select engines and transmissions independently so I can have the gauges for me Cummins engine and the correct gear indicator for my 6 speed Allison. I get that this doesn't apply to most but I never heard anyone say more options isn't better;

The Quadzilla app to start up upon device boot. This way you could leave the device in the vehicle, remove the battery, and supply it with key on power through a USB power adapter. When you turn the vehicle on the device would power up and automatically load Quadzilla app making the device you choose essentially a dedicated display for the app and no fiddling around with out every time you start your truck. https://www.digi.com/resources/documentation/digidocs/90001546/task/android/t_faq_autostart_custom_android_applications.htm

Check out these two apps.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=imoblife.startupmanager

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autostart

Life might be easier for you if you root your device, but the second one is supposed to work without root. I am curious as to what you dig up for trans temp info from canbus. I thought the available signal wasn't much more than an idiot light, but that's just an assumption.

I think the gear indications are estimates based on RPM, Speed, gear ratio and tire size input. Mine have never been perfect but it's close now. The odd time my truck will decide it wants to do a different combination of 3rd, 3rd lockup, OD no lockup, etc so it's wrong more than it's right, just the nature of the beast. If this feature disappeared it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

-Kole

I'd be surprised if it did work on the 47's but it's common on the Allison's. Since Duramax is one of the engine options in the Quadzilla menu, it should follow that trans temp would be available there but alas it is not. I've talked to the guys over there a few times, even stopped by last time I was in slc, and they've always been super great to talk to but they're always so busy with other things. Just trying to see if there is more interest so I can get these things moved closer to the top of their priority list. My gear indicator and lockup is spot on until it gets to 5th gear which the 47 doesn't have. But like I said, Duramax is one of the engine options so it should be able to communicate with the Ally it just won't after you select the Cummins engine. I will check out the autostart apps though. Since my quadzilla is my gauge cluster I doubt really want to have to fiddle with out every time I start it up.

Issue is the bus data comes across the data stream under the hood not on the screen itself.  So even though the duramax profile has those things, the cummins under the hood is not pushing that data across the datastream.   So I can't read that info.  

I can put the stuff in the box under the hood, but if the cummins ecm is not putting out the info you will get nothing.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure I agree with that. The medium duty Cummins are capable. In the years that have actual Dodge ecms I believe that may be true but if the tcm and ecm are connected on the databus, requested pids should be available in the same way that my tcm reads tps data off the bus because the Quadzilla requests it. My Quadzilla plugs into a "T" at the datalink connector so in theory the information doesn't even have to pass through the ecm. If the Quadzilla requested it the tcm would send it and then it could be displayed. The issue is finding the correct pids, which I have provided, and interpreting the hex data into intelligible readings for humans. The problem is that the Quadzilla is not requesting trans temp because it has a dedicated input in the wiring harness package. 

spn177 - Transmission Oil Temperature - Temperature of the transmission lubricant.
Data Length: 2 bytes
Resolution: 0.03125 deg C/bit , -273 deg C offset
Data Range: -273 to 1735 deg C
Type: Measured
Suspect Parameter Number: 177
Parameter Group Number: [65272]

as follows?  Whats the Identifier from the computer that it is coming from?   

How about gear?

Edited by Me78569

My trans guy is Jason@transmissiontuner.com. He would be the guy you'd want to talk to about technical details. I'm just a dumb carpenter. He is an absolute genius when it comes to tcm and tech stuff. I understand enough to get how it works but as far as hex messages and pids he'd be your guy.

The transmission temp is fed straight to the pcm on the Dodge application. Would be read across the CCD bus with a scan tool or obd reader. Circuit T54 violet wire for those interested. I doubt that is something broadcasted to the Cummins controller in this case as they are not derating the engine for a shift like the Allisons are in their original application.

• Like 1

Just now, jlbayes said:

The transmission temp is fed straight to the pcm on the Dodge application. Would be read across the CCD bus with a scan tool or obd reader. Circuit T54 violet wire for those interested. I doubt that is something broadcasted to the Cummins controller in this case as they are not derating the engine for a shift like the Allisons are in their original application.

Since he is ussing an allison plugged into the datalink using a y splitter cable, the quad SHOULD be able to read it.  Quadzilla as a company shouldn't be bothered to do this as a one off but I will look into it for him.

• Like 1

Pretty sure I got it done.  Thankfully there was some code I could cut and paste haha.  

@Scottfunk

Lol 0 promises with this one. ENSURE you have a good V2 saved as a backup. 

This one MIGHT read the j1939 from the allison.   it MIGHT show right gear, it MIGHT show correct trans slip, it MIGHT show lockup correctly.  it MIGHT show you trans temp from the ally

LOLALLY.exe

• Like 1

Yes I agree. I did not necessarily EXPECT the guys at Quadzilla to do this for me, however I did ASK and was told they would work on it. There was a trade of sorts. Like I said they have always been helpful and accommodating when they could. It's my belief that these kinds of swaps are becoming more popular and I was simply looking for ways to make it simpler and more user friendly. I do appreciate your hard work and I will let you know how it goes.

Ever do any android/arduino stuff @Me78569 ? I am looking for someone to build a simple climate control app (couple sliders and a temp readout) that would control a servo to open/shut the diverter valve to maintain a requested temperature and an electronic speed control like you'd find in an rc car for the fan speed. I would of course pay for this.

Nice. I always find such good info here. Guess that's why I hang out here even though I'm a Chevy guy. They just weren't smart enough to get a contract with Cummins hehe.

Thank God I don't actually have to DO any work so I can stand around and watch people work whilst I chat with you guys hehe. Good times.

• Like 1