• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Warmup / High Idle

kzimmer

Hey guys,

I have warm up mode and high idle activated with a 90 second delay, until 140°F ECT. I want to verify intended functionality. Here's how mine works.

After the 90 second delay, my tach jumps up to about 950 ish. After about 10 minutes, they smoothly increase to about 1200. Does this sound normal? I'm not sure if the two-stage RPM is intended or not. I would kind of prefer to see 1200 RPM instantly when it's cold out.

-Kole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Due to the size of the injectors I can't say if it is not normal.  It takes a good bit more fuel on a cold motor to get RPMS up.  as the motor comes up to temp somewhat then it takes less fuel and rpms come up

Everything happens instantly though. When I say smoothly increased from 950 to 1200 i mean for a 2 second period. I meant to compare that to the quad's high idle kicking in, which is an instant kick in RPM from 800 to 950.

Edited by kzimmer

Me78569 may be on to something though. The code in the Adrenaline sets the target RPM range and then slowly increases the fuel until it reaches that RPM and then constantly adjusts it so that it stays near 1200 RPM

There is a maximum fueling level that it will increase to and the 950 may be at that maximum fueling level until the truck warms up. Do you have a datalog of the warm-up? that would be helpful in looking at what the fueling message is. 

Being that my injectors are so big, I would have thought it would over fuel instead of under fuel.

What about the changes a while back where it would use a different value for canbus fuel while driving in warmup mode? Back in the day it was lvl 0 while driving in warmup mode, but trucks like mine would get too much fuel while driving during warmup mode.

Wait... so when in warmup mode, high idle probably jumps up high enough for the quad to take over fueling, and probably sits at my 0psi canbus fueling limit of 66%.

@Me78569 This might be related to my RPM hunting issue.

• 2 months later...
  • Owner

If you enable the 3 CYL high idle on the ECM you can no longer use the Quadzilla High Idle. The two don't play nice together. Quadzilla only does 6 CYL high idle only on Level 0. Mopar1973Man.Com high idle kit with do both the 3 CYL and 6 CYL high idle. 

So just remember if you opt for the ECM high idle with 3 CYL you must turn off the Quadzilla high idle. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

I've got to add to this... 

Yes, it is possible to use the Quadzilla Adrenaline high idle with factory high idle enabled. The point is only one must be used at a time. Right now my weather is super mild and I've got my Quadzilla setup to 30-second delay and 140*F warm up. This is so much better being the high idle time is greatly shorten and way less fuel used vs. 3 CYL or even 6CYL going to 170*F. So I've taken advantage of the Quadzilla high idle and my exhaust brake. My warm-up time is much shorter now and I'm off and rolling shortly after the 140*F mark typically. 

Again the key point here is do not use or enable the Quadzilla high idle if you expect temperatures cold enough to trip the factory high idle. I'm very capable of using the features of the Quadzilla Adrenaline in mild weather and its working just fine. 

• Thanks 1

I have full confidence @Mopar1973Man  that you will use it wisely and properly. The rule of thumb to never use it is more for the people that aren't as confident in themselves being able to bleed the lines in case they accidentally forget to turn off the Quadzilla High Idle before a cold night. If you are sure that your factory high idle won't kick in go ahead and enable ours, just remember to turn it off before cold nights. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner
16 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

The rule of thumb to never use it is more for the people that aren't as confident in themselves being able to bleed the lines in case they accidentally forget to turn off the Quadzilla High Idle before a cold night. If you are sure that your factory high idle won't kick in go ahead and enable ours, just remember to turn it off before cold nights.