• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Frantz oil filter any input/updates?

Anyone use the toilet paper filter Frantz ?  If so what does oil analysis look like pre frantz and after?   What keeps the paper in frantz container and not going into engine once toilet paper gets saturated .  If you have one... would you do it again?   I've read below article and wonder if any updates or any other input. 

Thanks

When I first found out about them I thought it was a joke, then to my surprise I found few reviews that swore by it, long story short I ended up with BMK21 from amsoil. Till this day I wonder if I want to rely on TP, I believe it was designed for other purpose. :moon:

Edited because I remembered a joke.

Husband and wife conversation. 

Wife. Do you think my boobs are small? 

Husband. No honey they're perfect. 

Wife. I don't think you're telling the truth, maybe I need a boob job.

Husband. You should try TP, twice a day rub it between your boobs. 

Wife. And you think it will help? 

Husband. It helped your butt!

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

• Owner

I fell away being that toilet paper doesn't fit the can properly anymore. The filtler elements now are but more spendy and one one place to get them now. I like the idea of toilet paper and I could change rolls in mid-flight of any oil change. For $9 I could buy a 12 pack of toilet paper now you can only buy 1 filter...

http://www.frantzfilters.com/synthetic-vs-cellulose-media/

Op here...Thanks for replies. 

Trying to get my 01 last as long as possible. Thought those TP filters might help.  I think clean air, oil and coolant are the life blood.  I'm moving oil changes to 2,500 miles, soot is big killer in my opinion. 

(my real reason for better filtration) 

Lord where did I go wrong?...My son (and ex Dodge mechanic of 6 years) bought a newer Duramax.  And my son in law, who I don't think even knows where the hood latch is, also has a Duramax.  So I have to make my 01 last me. I've got my own kids telling me they can pull me sideways!!!  Thought I taught my kid better.  So hard up I am, I even called two bio/vegetable fuel places yesterday, not to screw around making (injection killer) fuel but they have the "spinner" type oil centrifuge things that separate the junk out of oil. Soot is killer over time in my opinion.  I don't think there is enough room under hood or pressure, so was thinking about draining oil into a stand alone oil spinner in garage, powered by a 120 volt elec motor.   Both veggy places say  "no-go" unless oil is at operating temp (when soot is suspended) so it got complicated quick.

I guess best course is to change out all fluids, especially the oil lot more often.  

Edited by 015point9

• Owner
10 hours ago, 015point9 said:

I'm moving oil changes to 2,500 miles, soot is big killer in my opinion. 

Waste of money IMHO... When you consider @cajflynn was doing 20k oil changes (Chevron Delo 15w-40 and Fleetguard filters) and put 1.3 million miles on a Cummins. I'm doing 7 to 9k oil changes now which is about every other month. Then you consider @dorkweed went 84k miles on a single oil change with Supertech 15w-40 and just filter changes. (Main and bypass - MotorGuard). Might want to talk to Dorkweed and Cajflynn...

Running @MoparMom dialysis in Ontario, OR so 250 per round trip every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Which makes a minimum of 750 miles a week, 3,000 miles a month if I don't drive anywhere else. Currently heading for 316k miles and ticking...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I am the same here as @Mopar1973Man on that. I cant hurt if you want to do it but it seems to me to be a waste of oil. I see alot of miles just getting to and from home for the weekends. Current round trip of about 900 miles a week. Just shy of 420k on mine.

If you are worried about it you could do some oil analysis and see if there are any issues. 

Dieselfuture    I had to google up the number you posted to find out what it was.  Never knew about Amsoil filter.    I've always been "gun shy" about Amsoil, probably because of an ex co-worker.  I'm sure if I was having a heart attack he would try to sell me some Amsoil :) to fix me up.  I'm going to check out more. Hopefully I'll find info about oil pre and post filter.

Mopar1973Man   dialysis...Have you checked out home dialysis?  Read an article some time ago that price has really came down but picky when it comes to which type of patients.   Winter time in your area, must be a hassle sometimes.  On the plus side, being together all that travel time you're probably grown closer to her and I'm sure she appreciates it very much.  Wife with brain tumor, each week is usually 3 or 4 appointments, but we are 12 miles one way.  But at home I'm pretty much it, I have to flip her every other hour during the day and at night have to get up twice.  So I know about the time involved issue. 

dripley Oil analysis...

Everybody   Thanks for ideas.   Think what I'll do is do a couple oil analysis at 2,500 and then couple at 5,000 to come with a "bench mark" and then adjust from there. 

Yeah 2500 miles on oil is wasting a ton of coin. I did a 40K mile run on my 02 doing nothing but filter changes running 15/40 amsoil and the UOA came back looking like new every 5k miles. i changed full flow filter every 5k and the amsoil bypass filter every 10k which was wasting money as well should have been doing it every 15-20k instead. Only reason i changed oil was i opened up the engine for an injector swap.

As far as your comment on the new diesels pulling yours sideways lol depending on how new they are telling the truth. The new diesels are pure beasts power wise hands down in comparison. I have driven and ridden in about all the new ones pulling big honkin loads and there is absolutely no comparison. I had to stick thousands and thousands into my 02 to get to the same power level as the new one have stock now.

I am a huge believer in UAO. Just an example my 2010 1500 5.7 Hemi OEM reccomends 7500 oil change intervals but the UOA results on 3-4 different types of oil showed the hemi is way too hard on oil to run that long, It holds 7 quarts of oil and i change it every 5-6K miles. The UAO showed the oil looked good but the additive wear package was always near completely depleted at anything close to 7k miles on the oil.

• Thanks 1

• Staff

What I've seen after servicing thousands of car over 45 years is you're wasting your money with a dino oil change done with less than 5,000 mi and the additive package that keep varnish and sludge from forming starts to brake down after 7,500 mi.   I feel comfortable changing full synthetic oil at 7,500 to 10,000 miles.

• Like 1