• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Fuel tank straps

Is there supposed to be any type of padding or protection between the metal strap that holds fuel tank in place and the fuel tank? 

Front strap is held in place by a metal bracket that strap goes into.  Metal bracket is bent …trying to figure out if it was bent on purpose, to prevent strap from falling off…just in case strap ever came loose or is bracket bent from road debris? 

Figure 14-110 in parts manual doesn’t show anything between strap and tank , but maybe some type of protection a good idea? 

(My old Ford had something like gunny sack material between tank and strap.  I replaced with a rubber inter-tube.  But tank was from late 80's with alum tank, if I recall right)  

Edited by 015point9

Pretty sure it doesn't come with anything. At least both trucks I've had didn't have one. If you're going to remove them, I'd recommend grinding down the corners of the forward most one so you don't have to loosen the carrier bearing as much. Here's how I did mine and it made reinstallation a lot easier.

IMG_2957.JPG.5336896d57c4509960f34d41db263402.JPG

• Like 1

No reduction of vibration could hurt, was under my truck doing the exhaust last week and I looked at the tank straps to make sure nothing was rusted, and I didn't see any type of vibration damper in between the strap and the tank. I'll be putting my truck on the lift tomorrow afternoon to do my DD clutch & built transmission install and can snap a few pictures for you. 

Edited by Cronus577

10 hours ago, notlimah said:

Pretty sure it doesn't come with anything. At least both trucks I've had didn't have one. If you're going to remove them, I'd recommend grinding down the corners of the forward most one so you don't have to loosen the carrier bearing as much. Here's how I did mine and it made reinstallation a lot easier.

IMG_2957.JPG.5336896d57c4509960f34d41db263402.JPG

I never took my carrier loose. Had to persuade it a little but it came out. Cutting the corners aint a bad idea though.

37 minutes ago, dripley said:

I never took my carrier loose. Had to persuade it a little but it came out. Cutting the corners aint a bad idea though.

I never had to take the entire carrier out, just same as you, lots of 'persuading' lol! Once I trimmed the edges it went it just by taking the one bolt out.

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

My tank strap is also clamped under the carrier bearing. I've got to drop the carrier bearing to get mine loose. I've only pulled my fuel tank twice in the life of the truck. Once for the Draw straw install and the second time to replace the fuel sending unit.

I have only pulled mine twice too. Once on the first day of my AD install and once the next day when I realized I did not install a couple spring clamps completely.:doh:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

@Cronus577Is that a first rear main in 350k? 

I believe so. There's no RTV anywhere and the oil pan gasket for the bottom of the seal housing was still there, so unless the previous owner(s) lifted the engine and did the oil pan gasket if/when the rear main seal was replaced or they did it without pulling off the housing it would be stock oem gasket. I installed the oem Cummins one and the seal was way off, both the dust gasket and the oil gasket was about a quarter of an inch away from the crank. One of the guys that was working on his Powerstroke came over and was like and I quote "it'll probably expand once it warms up".. I was like naaahhh I don't think this is right at all. So I ran and got a felpro seal which seals 100x better.. 

Felpro vs NEW OEM Cummins gasket

20170916_151419.jpg

20170916_130521.jpg

Edited by Cronus577

Wow, lol it will expend alright when there is no oil left. Is felpro on top and cummins on bottom? I think I see a gap on bottom one, plus it looks wavy.

Kinda of topic but I did a timing belt on my car I drive daily and while at it I did all seals and crank seal always leaked, even before I did it, that's why I decided to do it in a first place. So after I put 20k on the new seal and it was getting worse I decided it was time to see what's going on. Ended up being when I pushed the seal over crank, inside lip roled inside out but not all the way it was weird. I then used a piece of PVC same size as crank and put the new seal on it and then slid it over on the crank, to keep it from rolling again. Never had that issue before, crank is even tapered but somehow it would want to roll anyway. Now no leaks, I don't have to add a qt every 1k.

Edited by Dieselfuture

@Dieselfuture yeah the felpro is the top and it sealed perfectly. The Cummins one is the one on the bottom. The white part is dust seal, It was straight but I tried to push it in a little to see if it would seal. It had the metal ring in it to make it seal correctly and it would have worked but the seal never expanded to meet the crank. I couldn't convince myself to believe that it would expand, I ended up pulling it and trying to push the crank seal out and I got it to touch the crank but I could see a hairline gap still so I threw it out and put in the felpro and it's golden. Just put on the flywheel before the shop closed so should have it finished tomorrow. Going to suck having to keep my foot out of it while breaking in the clutch, I really want to get that dent in the bed fixed from where someone on base where I lived hit me and left no information

20170916_164409.jpg

20170916_164427.jpg

Edited by Cronus577
  • Like 1

• Staff
14 hours ago, Cronus577 said:

One of the guys that was working on his Powerstroke came over and was like and I quote "it'll probably expand once it warms up".. I was like naaahhh I don't think this is right at all. So I ran and got a felpro seal which seals 100x better.. 

That's why he drives a Powerstroke and you have a Cummins.