• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

steering damper

Killer223

i think it's about time for a new one. mine is starting to leak. on my 08.

I've read in a few places to get the stock Mopar one w/the bearing at one end. and i've read other places that just a good one from napa/autozone/etc will be just as good.

is the rancho or bilstein or fox really worth the coin?

Bilstine 5100 and damper from orily part store, they had 2 options I believe it was 1/2" and 5/8 rod, I got 5/8. Think it was rancho or something similar. And I believe the one I took of my truck was a 5/8 also. Funny thing is it was still good but I was working on a Toyota 4rnr project and needed on at that moment so I took it off the truck so I could make brackets, by the time I was done I didn't feel like taking it back off so I went and bought a new one to put back on the truck.

I picked up a Ranch 5000 steering damper, will see if it's any good.

As for shocks, i'm still trying to get my 08 to ride like my 04.

i started out learning that the PO had shocks that were to short, limiting my down travel. so i got some 4600's and install them, made big difference. but still wasn't close to the 04, so i got some take off front coils from an 04 QCLB, again another improvement, the ones on my truck were noticeably smaller diameter. still wasn't crazy about the ride. ordered some Thuren coils, it raised my truck 1.34 inches. ride was much improved. but still not like the 04's.

the 04 is stock aside from bilsteine 4600's.

so now i'm down to tires, or another shock.

air pressure in the tires are the same 50 front 45 rear on both trucks.

one being a mega cab over a QC shouldn't make this big of difference in the ride. so the quest continues.

i'm thinking the Rancho's maybe the newer 5000x or if the wife allows the 9000xl's.

after that will be control arms.

the biggest improvement was the Thuren coils. they are nice for sure.

if it's still not the ride i like i might sell the darn thing. aside from swapping the coils from the 04 onto the 08... but that's more work than i care to do. i suppose for science it could be done. then i'd know... takes about an hour per truck to swap coils.

04 has 285/70/17 cooper ATP's

08 had 285/70/17 BFG KO2's now has 275/70/18 goodyear's ride didn't change between them.

maybe first thing i should do is swap tires...

anyone have any recommendation for a good accelerometer app, where one could in theroy track the rough road and compare it between trucks.?

Edited by Killer223

• Staff

I have a Bilstien damper and like it over the OEM one, but I also have the older steering. I'm not sure what steering you have. 

As for shocks I run the 5100's and my truck rides great! It rides better with the LRG tires than most I have ridden in with LRE tires. I have stock springs, bushings, and a 1" spacer level kit. 

I've ran a lot of different shocks over the years and the 5100's I have now have been the best. Rancho 9000's were the worst, followed by Rancho 5000's. 4600's were good, but I prefer the 5100 feel. Lots of different suspensions, vehicles, etc... but I drank the Rancho kool-aid for many years on may rigs and looking back they were a horrible shock. 

As for the ride differences. Does the 08 have a level kit,aside from the thruen? 

Have you looked into body mount part number differences from 04 to 08?

What about control arm bushings?

I would think the softer Thuren coils would help, but the steeper control arm angle will hurt you. When I went from a 2" level down to a 1" level the ride difference was night and day. Literally like going from riding empty with 80 psi in the airbags to 5 psi. 

it's very odd for sure, the 08 has just the Thuren coils, and with the ranch hand bumper it sits 1/2 higher then the 04 does stock.

it's driving me crazy. my 04 is like a Cadillac.  smooth, stable over rough road, potholes, everything. and in my brain the 08 being a 3rd gen, same wheel base should ride darn near the same.

no other ride enhancements on the 08. just the thuren coils. and they are amazing over the stock ride quality.

have not looked at body mounts yet.

control arms are next on the list to replace. but there is no slop in them now, so i'm unsure changing them out would change much.

i was under the understanding the 4600 and 5100 have the same valving, just one is zink and designed for lifted trucks.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/bilstein-5100-vs-bilstein-heavy-duty.cfm

both trucks have the updated 08 steering free from Mopar as part of a recall.

turns out the 09+ is the better one to get. so might upgrade to that. i'm having a hell of a time getting the old stud out for the steering damper change.

Edited by Killer223

• Staff
15 hours ago, Killer223 said:

have a question John, the bilstein, being a gas charged mono tube, does it make your truck pull in one direction? from what i understand when compressed they will extend on their own from the gas charge.

some clarification please...

They are gas charged, but I haven't noticed any pulling because of it. My truck will slightly drift to the crown of the road but it will do it both left and right, so I don't think it's related to the steering damper.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response John, so after further looking into the trucks. the "recall" performed on my 08 was not the same as the one done to my 04, as the 08 had aftermarket parts so they didn't replace anything, honestly i never even looked, just took it in for the recall work, thinking that it was replaced.

That said. the older y style that my 08 has changes toe with wheel articulation, my theory is when i upgrade it to the newer style like my 04 has, this will no longer be an issue. and i suspect that a slight amount of wobble is a contributing factor to my ride. 

so when i find the parts and change them out, I'll let you all know.

• Staff

I'll be honest, when I changed out my steering this summer I kept the 03-08 style vs going to the  new 08.5+. I know there is the toe change issue with articulation but I spend a lot of time off the pavement and have never had a single steering issue. I read about many more issues with the T style so I stuck with Y steering. 

Here's a thought, does the 08 hit the bump stops more with the ranch hand? I know I will occasionally hit the bump stops with a 1" lift and the extra weight I have and my weight isn't even close to a ranch hand. 

I have a front 2" receiver, and several extra filters under hood that all add up.... each one isn't much but I sit at ~5100lbs most days on my front axle when I'm not towing. 

Final thought.... lots of complaints on the 06-09 seats vs the 03-05 seats. Are you sure it's the suspension and not the seat? I know my dad's 06 doesn't feel as nice as my 05 and they are basically the same truck.

when i got it it would bounce off the bump stops, that led me to discover the to short of shocks, so the correct length were installed,

that helped, then the coils were replaced with heavier ones, that helped as well. but it still bounced off the bump stops.

so I parked them side my side, and measured the distance from the bump stop to axle on each truck, there was 1 1/4" difference. 

my ranch hand has a receiver hitch in it that I built and installed.

So I ordered some Thuren 2" softride coils, that state they lift the mega cabs 1 3/4 inches. so after install, the truck now sits about 1/2-3/4" higher than the 04, this was the best improvement in ride quality and stable feeling.

When it's sketchy is were there is road bumps from like heavy loads that push the asphalt away, kinda like washboards but in pavement. forward to the 1:50 mark.

this same section of road in the 04 is smooth, and in the 08 is spooky!!! hence my quest for a accelerometer app.

I've check track bar bushing all steering components are tight. alignment is good.

The issues are a vehicle handling issue, the feeling of control and stability.

If you were here i'd gladly let you drive both truck on the same stretch of road and see what i'm trying to fix.

The seats are another issue, but that's more a ride comfort than ride quality.

more research...

My 08 has the older y style steering, i've found https://www.amazon.com/MOOG-DS800981...MOOG+DS800981A

is that the only thing i need to upgrade to the newer style? i ask because i also see,

https://www.amazon.com/2003-2012-Ste...WG568A8CCJB3Q6

and it includes a new pitman arm and steering damper, what parts do i need? will the first link be a direct swap, then go get alignment? how do i know if i need the new pitman arm?

very frustrating for sure.