• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

when i pop my hood and everyone sees that BHAF.....everyones is like"whoa" or "did you pillage that off a CAT?". it lasts a long life and i am happy with mine...DROP INS SUCK!

nanofibers are available as dropin or as a large cone. supposedly allowing more airflow compared to a bhaf. still trying to decide ofcourse because they are just over twice the cost not counting outerwears cost on bhaf. as far as life span I swore my filter-minder was broken till i ripped it off the stock airbox and tested it. the sponge covered paper filter I have in there is still relatively clean.

The OEM paper filters work great as long as they meet your need. In my case, I went to the BHAF out of necessity. The OEM filter and box just could not handle enough air with the Mach 1.6 injectors and Edge EZ combo. Just not enough surface area or box opening to flow enough air. They work great on the wife's truck.

The OEM paper filters work great as long as they meet your need. In my case, I went to the BHAF out of necessity. The OEM filter and box just could not handle enough air with the Mach 1.6 injectors and Edge EZ combo. Just not enough surface area or box opening to flow enough air. They work great on the wife's truck.

except for my exhaust, my truck doesnt really have any performance mods. looking at the bhaf or nanofiber filter merely from a fuel economy point of view.

except for my exhaust, my truck doesnt really have any performance mods. looking at the bhaf or nanofiber filter merely from a fuel economy point of view.

Unless you just want a BHAF under the hood or plan to add mods later on, the BHAF on a stock configuration truck is wasted money. The ECM is going to limit fuel at approx. 20 psi boost which is well within the capacity of the OEM air box and filter. The BHAF does look and sound pretty cool especially if the silencer ring is removed. Some like the noise, some don't. I left my ring in.

Unless you just want a BHAF under the hood or plan to add mods later on, the BHAF on a stock configuration truck is wasted money. The ECM is going to limit fuel at approx. 20 psi boost which is well within the capacity of the OEM air box and filter.

The BHAF does look and sound pretty cool especially if the silencer ring is removed. Some like the noise, some don't. I left my ring in.

Intake and Exhaust Restriction

An engine that is starved for air (intake restriction) or unable to expel exhaust (exhaust restriction) will lack power and waste fuel. The extra fuel burns inefficiently at best because it takes air to completely oxidize the fuel and extract all of the power that it contains.

Mopar1973Man's Notes: BHAF and Straight Piped Exhaust as really good way to gain MPG's!

from : http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/better-mpgs/better-mpgs.htm

which is why i was looking into it

Its your money. Spend it how ya like. That is what makes this country a great place to live. You will find that the greatest increase in efficiency and fuel economy with these trucks is hidden in the right foot. :wink:

oh I totally agree with that, just trying to get the mechanical aspects as well

• 1 month later...

So i've been reading this thread and saw the post about it kind of being wasted money on a stock truck...my trucks pretty well stock except for the lift pump and I have the XZT, would this upgrade still be a waste in my case? Also, how does the BHAF fasten in, or is it big enough it basically just lays in there and stays in place on it's own?

• Owner

Well the fact is you won't have to change air filter for about 6-7 years... Never got to wash it, never got to oil it, etc... Just stick it in the rubber neck of the elbow and tighten up... Like myself I created a heat shield for mine. Then tied it down with a bungee cord. Then beefed up the neck with a piece of 4" exhaust tubing. Then top that all off by stuff the stock filter minder in the head of it... My first filter cost me $58 buck at a local part store. Then I bought a BHAF replacement from Eric at Vulcan Performance. As of right now that new filter is still sitting behind my desk in the box 1 year later waiting for the first filter to start pulling the disc down in the filter minder... But to give you an idea.. I've still got factory brake pads yet after 162K miles... I figure my first brake job will be at 200K miles... (Thanks to Mr. Exhaust Brake) There is a lot of things that you can add to your truck to extend the life of everything!

• 3 weeks later...

BHAF all the way - I like the spool up I get on the turboAnd its only like $100 with outerwears (or less) as opposed to $200-$300 for similar filtersI have mine bungied in as well (stitting on thick cardboard at the moment) I also cut out a little of the heat shield fabric on the corner of the hood to ensure it doesn't block the BHAF - pretty sure it works and helps more air get to filter :) Just a small section directly over filter where not too much heat exists ;)