• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Steering Gearbox reseal...

• Owner

Finally after all this time the steering gearbox now just starting to leak power steering fluid. Input seal is weeping fluid and I had to top off with power steering fluid about 8 ounces worth. So I'm going to have to look into a gearbox seal kit and rebuild my box. I will not replace it with Bluetop or Readhead. Still tight steering just now starting to weep power steering fluid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Can some one verify if all steering boxes where the same from 98.5 to 02? It seems seal kits for just the 02 are not available but a full kit is available for 01. If they are the same ill just order a 2001 seal kit.

Just give Ryan a call at Blue top he is a stand up guy and will walk you through any questions you have. His business has really taken off and he was able to walk away from his 90k+ a year job a month ago to focus on his business full time now. I will miss working with him, he made the days go by faster, he is a comical character all the time.

BTW he actually builds some gears and components for Redhead lol. They work together on some things, they contract out some things to him.

He told me a while back he appreciated me throwing his name out there and sending him business. I pass this on to you guys for supporting Blue collar America!!!! He is a one man show, he does it all..........for now.

Heck you may wind up with another site sponsor out of the call. He drives a 94 cummins 4x4 dually reg cab 5 speed with a home built dump bed.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 3

Yes we worked together here at the coal mine for the last 6+- years or so, he was great to have around he was one of those guys who was handy as all get out and could do most anything mechanical as well as weld and fabricate better than most full time welders. He has a lot of machinist tools for rebuilding his gears lathes and such. He is one of those guys who builds most of his own stuff, I have seen many of his projects and he is one of those guys where things are natural to him that way and gets things done fast on top of it.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Yes we worked together for the last 6+- years or so, he was great to have around he was one of those guys who was handy as all get out and could do most anything mechanical as well as weld and fabricate better than most full time welders.

Well it is his gain and your loss, Been thru that some in my career. Tough to loose the good ones but they always seem to be the ones that move up. Shoot I was one once until I decided to become the head baby sitter.

• Owner

That's what screwed me up too. I stopped by the dealer I bought the truck from and they don't sell the kit either but could tell me if the box in my truck is the same as the box in 2001 truck.

I've checked NAPA and Autozone both and neither store sells a master seal kit for a 2002 truck. Only a input shaft seal kit or a output seal kit. Now get them to check the book 2001 they do sell a master seal kit. Now the dealer says that there might be enough difference internally that the kit might not work. 

I'm not buying a new gear box. Not happening. Seal kits as low as $27 and the knowledge to rebuild the box is priceless... 

I'll give Ryan a call today at BlueTop maybe he can get me the seal kit. 

• 2 weeks later...