• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2001 Cummins *HELP*

I have a 2001 3500 4x4 5 speed with 4:10 rear end. The only aftermarket parts this truck has are as follows- flo pro 4" turbo back, S&B intake manifold, S&B cold air intake, Edge EZ, and Edge insight CTS2 (truck had the EZ when I bought it.). Here are my symptoms...The truck will de-fuel while driving down the road, BUT ONLY IN 5TH GEAR. The problem does not seem to be RPM related because I can fuel all the way up to 2800 (or whatever it is) in 1-4th gear. The truck has absolutely no hesitation to crank, or supply fuel in gears 1-4. The only consistency with the issue is it seems to happen after the truck has been driven for 30 minutes or so and only de-fuels in 5th gear. When I crank it and drive to work in the morning it will run 70 in 5th gear no problems just like it is supposed to. However on the way home if I have errands to run after getting off it will not fuel past 2000-ish rpms *ONLY IN 5TH GEAR* (right around 50-60mph), literally if im feeling ballsy enough I can go faster in 4th gear than I can 5th. The truck is also not throwing a code. I have had these symptoms for a couple of weeks now and it has never happened in any other gear besides 5th. I have put a new APPS, as well as a new lift pump on the truck and it has not fixed it. I have a MAP sensor on the way hoping that maybe my problem is boost related. Everything that I have read about vp44 issues and ECM issues leads me to believe that the problem would be consistent with rpm's regardless of gear, as well as issues with getting the truck started? Has anyone ever had any issues similiar? Any ideas what this might be before I get into the expensive parts?

Just put a new MAP sensor on it and so far that seems to be what the problem was. I bought a genuine cummins sensor to put on it, and the sensor I pulled off did not look at all like it (required 1-1/4 socket vs. cummins 1-1/16) which leads me to believe that sensor was aftermarket and had failed. 

Did your new sensor come with an adapter plug, or plug on both sensors was same just different socket size. Still kinda weird why map sensor will only do it in 5th, unless you didn't get as much boost 1 through 4 and in 5th you can get more boost and it's over what ecm wants to see and it defuels. Mabe boost fooled in edge is not working correctly. 

Plug was the same size, just different socket sizes. 5th is definitely when I see the highest overall MAP's according to my insight. The rpm range where it liked to act up in 5th though is right about when it starts spooling up. My boost pressures in 3rd and 4th at my shift points are the same as what I normally see in 5th, but I guess since there is less load on the motor in 3rd and 4th it would fuel

Edited by tlayne

• 3 weeks later...