Mopar1973Man

WiFi Calling without WiFi Call enabled cellphone

Ok Gang... 

Just learned a new trick today and want to share it. Being now my cellphone now works at home and can make phone calls without cell service. All I need is WiFi signal and the phone works. So now I've got 2 cell numbers that work. 

Actual Cell: (208) 315-1470

WiFi: (208) 740-1747

https://thedroidguy.com/2017/08/receive-wi-fi-calls-google-hangouts-free-without-sim-card-1063470

This web page explains how to do it but I will mention the uncheck box in the Google Voice is not present but you have to remove the linked phone number to make it work. So sitting here at home I can call my WiFi Cell number and it rings like normal. 

Why am I doing this? The LG G5 cell phone I bought is UNLOCKED no carrier brand. Not to mention LG in their wisdom decided to omit to WiFi calling feature. So between using Google Voice and Google Hangouts I've managed to create a free phone number and now have free WiFi calling without cell service. 

I use WIFI calling with the same number all the time on Project fi.  

If I am on wifi the service works across the wifi otherwise it chooses between t mobile, Sprint,  and Us cellular depending on what serivce is faster.  

The neat part is I can start in my house walk out get in my truck and drive away while on the phone and magic happens to keep the call active.  

Capture+_2017-09-20-15-04-07.png No WiFi calling function on my phone so Project Fi still won't work. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

It is a software and carrier issue, not a hardware issue.  As carriers move to using volte rather than lte for the service you will see more and more wifi calling.  

The device itself doesn't care what method of connection it is using, just that it has connection.  That's the beauty of voip. 

Edited by Me78569

Still and all the phone doesn't have the software for VoIP... :rolleyes: Now it band-aided with the two apps. 

that's my point.  As technology advances we are going to see less and less of a what carrier / brand.  

I am excited you got it working these types of things force forward the acceptance of the network to allow this type of thing.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

I use WIFI calling with the same number all the time on Project fi.  

If I am on wifi the service works across the wifi otherwise it chooses between t mobile, Sprint,  and Us cellular depending on what serivce is faster.  

The neat part is I can start in my house walk out get in my truck and drive away while on the phone and magic happens to keep the call active.  

+1 on Project Fi, great coverage, only reason I switched from Fi to T-mobile is because my wife uses too much data and it's cheaper to have T-mobile's 2 person plan at $100 a month with no data cap. But T-mobile has calling over WiFi using your same number which is nice. @Mopar1973Man are you running Fi? If it's an unlocked variant i'd hop on over to XDA-Developers.com and see if someone has developed a method to unlock the bootloader so you can flash a custom recovery and then flash a custom rom. That's what I've done on every phone that i've had up to my Galaxy S8+. Although i'm contemplating on switching back to my Nexus 6P. Not as fancy a screen or battery life, but the ability to change songs on my phone while im in my truck by holding the volume up or down button is amazing. 

Edited by Cronus577

48 minutes ago, Cronus577 said:

@Mopar1973Man are you running Fi?

Just switch from TracFone to Verizon. I'm just got tired of the crappy service and always paying way more for data. I burn more data than I do minutes. All the local towers are Verizon.

48 minutes ago, Cronus577 said:

If it's an unlocked variant i'd hop on over to XDA-Developers.com and see if someone has developed a method to unlock the bootloader so you can flash a custom recovery and then flash a custom rom.

Already done...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g5/help/unlocked-lg-g5-rs988-wifi-calling-t3672640

Then I called LG but they couldn't help me. All they could suggest is buy another phone. Crap. M73M just replaced my phone 3-4 months ago. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Found this is another thread.

Dial *#546368#*850# in the phone app.
Select SVC menu.
Select VoWifi.
Enable Wifi calling.attachment.png.3a66477bad3b334f8fe17a74e818d220.png
Try a system restart after enabling if the option is not visible.

Since it's an unlocked version it might not have the option visible since it's just factory unlocked and a PSP hasn't uploaded their own crummy bootloader. 

1 hour ago, Cronus577 said:

+1 on Project Fi, great coverage, only reason I switched from Fi to T-mobile is because my wife uses too much data and it's cheaper to have T-mobile's 2 person plan at $100 a month with no data cap.

Yep Fi is good so long as you are not a heavy data user when on cell only.  

I firmly believe that Fi is hte future for how plans will work.  

Right now I have coverage on every network directly or via roaming.  

Tmoible

Sprint

Us cellural - which roams on verzion.  No extra charge.  

and wifi

the down fall is price per gb, which makes it a bad plan for some.  However my average bill is $21 per month and my wifes is $23 per month.

1 hour ago, Cronus577 said:

Found this is another thread.

Dial *#546368#*850# in the phone app.
Select SVC menu.
Select VoWifi.
Enable Wifi calling.

Try a system restart after enabling if the option is not visible.

Since it's an unlocked version it might not have the option visible since it's just factory unlocked and a PSP hasn't uploaded their own crummy bootloader. 

Already been there... Tried again just for fun. The code for my phone is close... Dial *#546368#*988#. (Change the last 3 digits to the model number of your LG phone). Now when you do that and go for the VoWiFi option set it to ON or 1 then reboot and go back it set for OFF or ZERO again. Still no option for WiFi calling.

So the only way is to replace the phone or use a WiFi Calling App. My method is a hack but it works. 

• Like 1

Dang technology, at least the phone is yours and Verizon can't sneak their bootloader into it. Any chance you know a place that can test an ECM? Buddy told me last weekend while I was working on the truck that the junkyard just received a automatic 2001 24v engine. Previous owner had blowby, thought it was the vp44, replaced the vp44 and it kept running bad so he pulled the vp44 and junked the block, managed to grab the injectors, fuel lines for 1/2/4, ecm and valve cover. I might go back and grab the rocker arms and push rods since I pulled one of the rockers and it was spotless, no scoring of any kind. Appears to be completely stock 

20170920_130441.jpg