mopar440cu

PCM starting issue

mopar440cu

I have got a weird problem maybe one of you can chime in with a answer on my predicament. I have a 2001 3500 5.9 with a starting issue. I already replaced the IP and  got it started with the help of Doug from Blue Chip following his directions. However, it will only run with the C3 wiring  connector unplugged from the PCM?? It has np power and the odometer reads NO BUSS due to the C3 plug unplugged. I am trying to trace the wires from the PCM in the C3 wiring and have not found anything yet. How would I know if a wire is bad on one of these wires? Also could it be something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Steve

jlbayes

A buddy recently was having the same issue and talked to blue chip about it. They said it was the vss causing the issue. May try disconnecting it at see if the problem resolves.

mopar440cu
8 hours ago, jlbayes said:

A buddy recently was having the same issue and talked to blue chip about it. They said it was the vss causing the issue. May try disconnecting it at see if the problem resolves.

I too tried that. I replaced both VSS with the suggestion from Blue Chip with one in the transmission and the other in the rear axle housing and still nothing. I am now trying to trace some wires with an multi meter set on OHM's. I just ordered a Power Probe EST3000 to help me trace a possible broken or shorted wire. Everyone recommended it so, I will give it a shot and let y'all know how it is. Thank for the thought!!!

jlbayes

Be very careful using powerprobe. They can be misleading. With the C3 plugged in go to the obd II connector under the dash and using a dmm check the resistance of the CCD bus. Key off.