• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

PCM starting issue

I have got a weird problem maybe one of you can chime in with a answer on my predicament. I have a 2001 3500 5.9 with a starting issue. I already replaced the IP and  got it started with the help of Doug from Blue Chip following his directions. However, it will only run with the C3 wiring  connector unplugged from the PCM?? It has np power and the odometer reads NO BUSS due to the C3 plug unplugged. I am trying to trace the wires from the PCM in the C3 wiring and have not found anything yet. How would I know if a wire is bad on one of these wires? Also could it be something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Steve

8 hours ago, jlbayes said:

A buddy recently was having the same issue and talked to blue chip about it. They said it was the vss causing the issue. May try disconnecting it at see if the problem resolves.

I too tried that. I replaced both VSS with the suggestion from Blue Chip with one in the transmission and the other in the rear axle housing and still nothing. I am now trying to trace some wires with an multi meter set on OHM's. I just ordered a Power Probe EST3000 to help me trace a possible broken or shorted wire. Everyone recommended it so, I will give it a shot and let y'all know how it is. Thank for the thought!!!

• 4 months later...

Ok, I  had some time today to work on the truck. I placed a new PCM on it and no change she would not start. The only way she will start is if I disconnect the C! from the PCM or I disconnect the ground coming from the battery.:think: I am stumped still. I am thinking it is being shorted somewhere in the C1 wiring still. Maybe there is a VP cut off switch that is triggered when there is a short maybe coming from the C1??

I was thinking also maybe a crankshaft sensor could possibly do it. What are your feelings on it?

On 2/13/2018 at 2:54 PM, Dynamic said:

I have mixed opinions on Suncoast stuff, but I'll keep them to myself...

12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

have you looked are the wiring diagram for 2001 and figured out what c1 does?  

12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

have you looked are the wiring diagram for 2001 and figured out what c1 does?  

Yes I have and are still stumped is why I am asking!

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

2002-Dodge-Wiring-Pg1.jpg

C3 is the bottom most in the diagram. Starting from the A/C clutch relay down. 

VSS is in the C2 plug.

C3 the big thing is the CCD network. Since the source of the network starts at the PCM. I would have to say its a CCD network issue.

Thanks for that one I did not see that one! Actually I made a mistake in the original post and it is the C1 not the C3 connector. I just cant figure out how to change it. LOL Sorry about that. This truck is absolutely driving me crazy! I am thinking still it is a short going from the C1 to where ever the wires are connected to or a splice thats in line. I just cant figure out which one yet.I really appreciate the help this thing has been down since October.

2002-Dodge-Wiring-Pg1_LI.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Theory...

C1 basically is killing the power to the PCM. So I've got to ask do you have a security key fob? Basically the ECM has to ask for permission to fire up and see if the security fob is armed or disarmed. 

I have a key fob for the truck when it was new, but cant find it. I believe its the same as my red 01 and just locks the doors and such. We never use them, just the keys. How would I check or disarm it? Could I pull a fuse?

Thanks!!!

• Owner

It's a dealer only thing. You would have to program the fob for that vehicle.  You can't just trade fob and expect it to work. They must be programmed by a DRBIII tool which the dealer has. Other than then any Dodge owner would be able to steal your truck. :whistle:

5 minutes ago, mopar440cu said:

Could I pull a fuse?

No. Then every thief would just pull a fuse to disarm your truck...

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

Ive used these instructions to reprogram extra key fobs(remote) from my 99' to my 00' but you have to have a working fob to do it. Both of my trucks also had the factory security option. 

https://northcoastkeyless.com/2000-dodge-ram-truck-1500-2500-3500-keyless-entry-remote-programming-instructions/

Edited by BBHD
Wordage
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Maybe that why I did NOT get the High Line model with an overhead idiot, heated seats, power seats, security key fob, steering wheel stereo controls, etc. 

I got the basic model. Power windows and door locks was the only bonus. 

Hey now are you knocking my truck? Just kidding... :moon:My truck has each of the above options from the factory!