• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Advice before purchase

I was just kidding :ahhh: but at the same time was trying to say if a guy could find a high mileage truck like Mike's for 7500 I would most definitely buy it, all depends on who took care of it. But we all know 7500 for something like @Mopar1973Man has is low balling by a long shot. Start looking around and don't jump on first thing you come across, unless it's obvious it's the one.

12 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:punish: Not me... I'm not selling... 

Should of said that I'm selling my truck to buy a Ford 6.0L. :stirthepot:

Just so you can drop a cummins in it right :shifty:

I'd say 7500 for 360k isn't terrible pricing wise depending on your area, but you mentioned in the beginning of this thread that you want to keep things simple, and simple isn't going to come along with a truck with that many miles unless it's been WELL taken care. If you're not in a hurry to get the truck, just take your time and one will come along that'll be perfect.

• Staff

I paid way too much... $16 K for an 01 190,000 mile Ram 2500 4x4, but the truck is way way too nice with all options and very well cared for tight, tight truck not molested or fondled,.

Edited by JAG1

If reasonable care has been taken of it I would not be scared of it. With that said it would be up to you or a trusted mechanic to look it over very good. @Me78569 could be very right on having to drop 5 grand on it if some systems are worn down and need replacement.I have 421k on mine and would not be afraid to go any where in it with the RV. My engine is still very strong. But I am nearing a front end rebuild, VP has over 200k on it. still have the oe drive line and chasing a couple of oil leaks. I can do this work my self to make it economical but if you have hire someone to do them you can drop 5k real quick. I guess what I am saying is dont let the mileage scare you off if you are comfortable with looking it over, top to underside. Stick a code reader on it also and drive it. The $15,000 trucks can have the same hidden issues.

I ought to add this caveat, It is a used truck and no matter how good you or anyone else is at checking out a vehicle hidden things might and will break. Some of it is a crap shoot.

Edited by dripley

Again depending on your area, those prices sound pretty reasonable. At 200k for 10-12k I'd be expecting either a very well kept stock truck or one slightly more 'used' with some good supporting mods already done, both more then likely automatic. That's what I'd expect in my area though.

• Staff

Take your time, have it checked out by someone that is well knowledgeable about that year and model truck.  Just because a guy has tools and is breathing doesn't make him a mechanic much less qualified to inspect a diesel truck

If you fined a truck and want to have it checked out don't fall for "Well I've got someone else coming over to look at it and he seemed pretty interested in buying it".   If the seller is being honest then he won't care who looks it over.  

When towing a trailer over 2000lb a trailer brake controller is a must and make sure the trailer brakes are in good condition.  You'll need to pull the drums for that and might as well repack the bearings while your in there.   I had my trailer plug disconnect from the truck one time which disabled the trailer's electric brakes, I felt like Freddy Flintstone trying to stop all that weight.

• Like 3

Ok guys, I wont keeping bugging ya, just wanted to see what you thought about this truck....

01 ram 2500 slt 4x4, 6cyl turbo diesel, 6 speed. Has completely stock 12v in it that was professionally installed, can't tell it was ever changed. Runs and drives great, cold Ac factory,CD player, has stock quiet exhaust ,has heavy duty south bend clutch, air dog 150 fuel pump, 195k miles will go up its my daily driver, trailer tow mirrors, electric brakes, everything in the truck works like it should. Has been serviced and greased regularly, Just put new tie rod on and had it aligned last week, everything in the front end is tight. Has some scratches on the hood and left side and a small tear in the drivers seat from getting in and out. No rust, all around nice truck.

11,600 is his asking price- ive always read that the 98 12v is a coveted truck....if the swap is clean do you think its worth a look?

Asking because its not real close to me

ummm  01 never had the 12v from the factory.... only the 24v....  (why drop back to a 12v instead of p-pumping a 24?)  Take a peek at it.  could be a nice truck or a major pita.  interested in how it was handled PCM, missing ECM. etc etc.    one tie rod?

Lol Me beat me, but I would like to know the blend of computer systems....  And if those things are not perfect, then everything else might be "just good enough.... to run most times...."

HTH

Hag

• Like 1

• Staff

I looked for awhile and would say 10 -12k would be a nice one, but I've seen asking prices 18-20k if they are exceptional. This in Portland, Oregon area. Some nice looking with the right upgrades, but on looking a little closer often one begins to see some things hashed together. I learned to look closely not letting the seller distract me.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Every time someone fixes bunch of stuff right before they sell it and some things don't add up, usually turns out to be a headache,  worth a look but :think: 

I suppose it may be more dependable without vp and some electronics but will be lacking some power maybe, but that can be addressed.

Good thought!

• Like 1