• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

strange noise and oil leak

99 24 valve, going uphill anywhere from 1500 rpms up, dosent matter what speed, im getting a strange whining noise. coming from the drivers side of the engine. any ideas? its not the turbo im pretty sure. also i have an oil leak coming from the bottom of the tranny bell housing, right on the edge of the cover for the flywheel and the torque converter. are the 2 related? havent noticed a loss in power, anything

Someone just last week had one of the intake cover bolts lose leaking air making noise but he had lower boost and more smoke, still worth pressure checking system for leaks. Could it be a belt making noise? Or possibly a bearing going out on one of the pulleys, noises can travel through things too and make it look like something it's not. 

I personally don't think problems are related, unless vacume plump seal is leaking, then maybe.

Edited by Dieselfuture

I am with DieselFuture check the vacuum pump, lay underneath while idling in park, if vacuum pump seal it's against the power steering pump and that could be whining. Usually will start to leak while idling, mine started under load though on a 2 hour trip then started getting worse until it leaked all the time when running. Steady drips while idling. 

How about your tappett cover. They can leak and oil will show up all over from the air blowing around under the hood. My rear main is leaking, comes out right where the bell housing meets the tranny. Only place it can come out. 

I just resealed my vacuum pump, never heard it whine. Not saying it isn't possible.

I had that leak, my oil pan gasket was flat from being tightened too many times. I had oil everywhere from the wind pushing it. If you need any pointers on the oil pan gasket let me know. It wasn't a bad job, oil pan gasket can be done with motor in the truck easy enough.

If you need to do any other work, like on trans, it would be a good reason to yank it. With that said, I would assume you can maybe do the rear main with the transmission pulled, can someone verify?

6 hours ago, jlongjohn said:

If you need to do any other work, like on trans, it would be a good reason to yank it. With that said, I would assume you can maybe do the rear main with the transmission pulled, can someone verify?

You have to pull the TC and flex plate.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jlongjohn said:

I had that leak, my oil pan gasket was flat from being tightened too many times. I had oil everywhere from the wind pushing it. If you need any pointers on the oil pan gasket let me know. It wasn't a bad job, oil pan gasket can be done with motor in the truck easy enough.

I would love pointers on how to fix oil pan gasket leaking. My front cover, tappet cover, and oil pan leak. Brand new rear main seal 1000 miles on it or so. If I get the oil pan gasket to stop leaking I might get an itch and want to fix the other 2 leaks aswell. ALSO, What can I do with the front case vent to stop it from dripping on front axle?