• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

A HOT little battery...

flagmanruss

i have a habit of sleeping in a power recliner... which is great except when the power goes out.  The built in (2) 9v transistor radio batteries really don't cut it... so I sliced in (2) 6 in series AA battery holders which is better.  The motor is rated 30 volts so I decided to up the power by swappng the 6 series for 8 series AA battery holders (24vdc).  I needed 2, so I ordered 3.  I swapped my nearly new AA cells in & added new to make my 8 cells in each.  Glad I was working on my desk. One of the holders shorted ONE AA cell.  The coil spring on the negative was off center & somehow got in contact with the cell case which is positive.  Dead short!  So the cell quickly became too hot to touch...  just that one cell.  The battery holder wasn't connected to anything... no other shorts. Somehow I pried the smoking little battery out before anything melted.  Yeah, that was fun.   

Edited by flagmanruss

What's scary is the transformer it's connect to is supposed hide under the chair.  Because the 9V cells were prone to fail when needed most, I'd put the transformer on a shelf at arm rest height... but on my weak side is all that's available. 

But if this had melted down when I was asleep... it could have caused a FIRE way too close to my body.  I really don't want to go out that way. 

I wonder of the outfit selling these components will replace it on my say so?  Glad I bought a spare... I usually do... because you never know about these cheap widgets.