• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Adjusting/ tightening steering box/ wheel play

• Staff

I think I remembered about certain things you when adjusting steering play. Don't bear down hard on the adjustment screw, turn wheel back and forth making very small adjustments each time, raise the front off the ground....... That sort of thing?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, My truck knows the way toIMG_0914.JPG.f952e27eb97d46954e1681c688b7df54.JPG these kinds of places

All I have ever done is tighten it up. No lifting, jacking, steering nothing. First time I only did 1/8 of a turn and had to do it twice to get results. This last time I did a 1/4 turn and need to do it again. I guess with 422k on it small adjustments dont work anymore. If you overtighten it you wil know. The steering wont return.

Pretty sure there is a much more involved way to do it. Read it somewhere on a thread here a while back. I have just never done it that way personally.

• Owner

Typically all I do is loosen the lock nut run the sector adjustment all the way in till it seats. Double check your not seating against the lock nut. Once you hit bottom then loosen 1.5 turns then hold the adjustment with your Allen wrench then tighten the lock nut again. You are done. Much fast than turning a 1/8 turn, test drive, turn again 1/8 turn, test... Etc...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Typically all I do is loosen the lock nut run the sector adjustment all the way in till it seats. Double check your not seating against the lock nut. Once you hit bottom then loosen 1.5 turns then hold the adjustment with your Allen wrench then tighten the lock nut again. You are done. Much fast than turning a 1/8 turn, test drive, turn again 1/8 turn, test... Etc...

I gave up on the 1/8th turn a while. Tried the quarter turn this time. might have to give that up too. 

• Owner

You'll be surprised I've seen some boxes where I turn 3 to 4 turn just to find bottom again. Then loosen 1.5 turns. That means if you doing 1/8 turns that would be 12 times of adjusting and test driving. If your doing 1/4 turns that still 6 times of adjusting and test driving. Or my way and do it once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I have to base mine on my past experience with a S-10 Chevy. Cranked way down on it and it turned like a dream in the parking lot. Jumped it out on the road and when I went for second the truck went on with the left turn I started. Did a real nice 180 in the road. Just did not want to see that happen to anyone.Just for you @Mopar1973Man :nadkick:

love ya, mean it. Ahhhh ha haaaaa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff

So you know its time to adjust the screw when everything else tight, but find yourself over compensating the wheel to keep her straight down the road

Dripley Thank you for the 180 warning I appreciate that.:thumb1: 

:lol3:

Edited by JAG1

• 4 years later...

For anyone reading this in the future, my truck (likely stock steering gear) required a 3/16" hex key and 5/8" wrench.

Either a stubby or ratchet-wrench would've made this project super easy.

Edited by LorenS
  • Like 2