• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Trans Swap ? 47RH to 47RE

Hello Everybody.  My current project, Long story short, is a 94 Ram 2500 2X4 NV4500 that has been re-bodied with a 78 Dodge Ramcharger body. I am going to converting it to 4X4 and Auto.

I also have a 01 Ram 2500 4X4 47RE, DTT built, that I use as my daily driver and tow rig.  What I would like to do is to swap the transmissions.  As I would prefer to tow with a manual transmission and have the auto for play.

I know that for the 01, I have to convert the NV4500 to a 4X4 output shaft and tail housing and that the 47RH was behind the 94 12 valve. I know that in 96 the RH was swapped to the RE and I have compared the PCM pinouts between the 96 and the 01, and as far as I can tell there is no changes that would affect the swap.

I have sourced a PCM wiring harness from a 96 12 valve auto and I have not gotten a 96 auto PCM yet.

I do have a 47RH from a V10 in stand-by if I am unable to use the 47RE.  I have sourced a Diesel governor assy and still have my factory TC to use.  But I only want to go this route if the 01 47RE just will not work.

So, Do you guys think that If I were to run the 96 47RE wiring and auto PCM with the 01 47RE, Would it work?  What are your thoughts?   TIA!

2 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Yes it will work. The transmission is "dumb" for all intensive purposes. You will just need to swap in the 96 transmission electronics into the re.

Thanks jlbayes,  Looking at Pure Diesel Power's website:

https://puredieselpower.com/dodge-products/transmission-2/automatic/sensors-electronic-performance/?items_per_page=-1

It looks like the only electronics I would need to swap is the overdrive lock-up solenoid. 

I would be nice if it works out to be that easy.  Hope I didn't just jinks myself.