• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Rear wheel beraring service Dana 80

Hey all, Just pulled apart the rear hubs to service the bearings and noticed the inner bearing cone cage was deformed (probably due to my technique for removing the wheels seals, removing the outer cone and then putting the nut back on a few threads and then firmly pulling the hub toward me until the rear cone and seal pop out of the hub) . The cage is not binding any of the rollers, however, I am not really happy with putting it back in service. I am pretty sure if I do this i have to replace the race as well as the cone...Correct? The race appears to be in good shape, but I wonder about putting a new cone in w/o changing it. Also does anyone have a better way of removing those big ol seals... while this normally works great, I don't want to goof this up again.:spend: Thanks for the feedback!

• Owner

No... They should be replaced as pairs... Because of the sole fact there is a fine amount of wear on the race and the new bearing will ride funny on a old race and might fail early... At least what I learn on 2 1/2 ton military trucks... Changed lots of those bearing (Ugh)... Funny part is I remove the inner seal the same way... Slide hammer the bearing against the nut... :shrug:

Thanks Mike.... I guess I must of got a little off square with my slide hammer technique.:banghead:

No... They should be replaced as pairs... Because of the sole fact there is a fine amount of wear on the race and the new bearing will ride funny on a old race and might fail early... At least what I learn on 2 1/2 ton military trucks... Changed lots of those bearing (Ugh)... Funny part is I remove the inner seal the same way... Slide hammer the bearing against the nut... :shrug:

Mike, I assume the best way to remove that race is with an "actual" slide hammer, yes? Chris

• Owner

Yeah... A slide hammer is the better way of pulling seals out. If the seal being replaced I normally just take a big thick flat blade screwdriver and pry them out too... But this will ruin the seal... But as for your method of sliding against the nut works the best for keeping the seal from getting damaged...