• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Start with gas soaked rag after filter change.

After changing my fuel filters,  if it doesn’t kick off within 30 seconds, I usually grab a rag, pour some lawn mower gas on it, give rag a good squeeze until gas stops dripping out, open up air box,  lay rag on air filter, (starter has rested by now),  and turn the key.   After it fires off, remove rag real quick.   Engine does rev up a little, for few seconds but not bad.

Today yacking with neighbor who is changing his filters on his back hoe says big mistake. 

What’s your opinion?

Thanks

big big big mistake.  You do not want fuel, of any kind, passing by the grid heaters.    All it takes is one time of hte grids tripping for you to get combustion in the intake.

Crack a few lines and crank, no need to do anything else.

I agree. The grid heaters can detonate anything flammable in the intake system, all the way back to the source. That would be the rag in the intake. You could disconnect the grids and eliminate that possibility. Me, I just clamp off the fuel lines before and after the AD, pull the filters, fill the filters with fuel and install them and then crank the truck. Works great no priming necessary.

• Staff

I have ball valves in lines to hold prime while changing filters. One by the tank to stop fuel from draining out of the tank and another in front of the big filter and lift pump so won't drain back on me when changing lift pump or the big filter.  I just have to fill the bowl on either filter and fire right up.