• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Leaky brake banjo's

Treated the truck to new front pads today. The one caliper was kind of sticky so I put 2 re-man calipers on as well. Got it all bled out and went for a test drive and it all works well. I swear I can feel less rolling resistance. Got back and checked things over and noticed fluid weeping from the one banjo bolt. Checked the other one and same thing. In 30 years of doing this I've never had this issue. I tightened them a little more but I just can't get the copper washers to seal. I'm considering putting the old ones back on. I'm confident everything was clean when it went back together. Anyone ever have this problem and have any ideas? I hope this won't be like getting injector lines to seal. 

13 hours ago, dripley said:

Maybe the 02 is different, all my fittings are flare fittings, no washer involved.

They are? I have never seen a flare fitting used on the front calipers of these.

@dave110 take a hammer and smack the banjo bolt. Snug again with wrench or socket.

Edited by jlbayes
  • Thanks 2

It's interesting you mention that @jlbayes. Mulling over it while trying to sleep I thought the same thing. One good whack with a brass hammer might seat the copper washers. It's the last thing I considered trying before taking it apart again. I wasn't  sure it was a good idea, so I'm glad you suggested as well. I broke a banjo once before so I'm a little gun shy. I'm gonna go at it again shortly and I'll report back.

44 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

They are? I have never seen a flare fitting used on the front calipers of these.

@dave110 take a hammer and smack the banjo bolt. Snug again with wrench or socket.

You are right. Had to think about that for a while and mine does have washers. I stand corrected.

Problem solved! I had those bolts about as tight as I could get them with 3 fingers on a 7/16 box wrench. After a few taps with a brass hammer I was surprised to get another 1/4 turn out of them. I suppose either the China bolt heads are not square to the threads or the crush washers are not parallel  or too hard or something, but the tap trick worked.

Now if only all my problems could be solved with a hit from a hammer...................:whistle2:

Dave,

The copper was too hard.  Happens a lot with steam systems.  ( the copper should be dead soft and pure, but copper is expensive so they add tin, aluminum, zinc.... and they don't anneal it after the work hardening....) 

You can soften the copper/bronze washers.   heat them with a propane torch carefully until red.  drop them in cold water.  this will soften them.  (yes it sounds odd (it is opposite carbon steel), but I can go into why if you want...)

HTH

Hag

• Like 1